Thank You, Meryl

Thank You, Meryl

"The United States is one of few countries that truly believes in the freedom of speech, but if that's so, why do so many people have a problem with what Meryl Streep had to say."

5
Thank You, Meryl
The Daily Dot

There's no denying that Meryl Streep is an incredibly talented actress; a figure of poise and class that many look up to. Once again she proved her status as Hollywood royalty during the Golden Globes this past weekend, while accepting her Cecile B. DeMille Award (or lifetime award). She took this opportunity to talk about the importance of diversity, respect and the reasons why journalists need to be protected now more than ever.

While many people applauded her for speaking up, many others rushed to criticize her and complain about her political remarks. Many expressed their disappointment in actors and entertainers using an award show to push a political agenda onto the audience, claiming that such comments were insensitive and inappropriate at such an event.

Well, I couldn't disagree more. The United States is one of few countries that truly believes in the freedom of speech, but if that's so, why do so many people have a problem with what Meryl Streep had to say. She did nothing wrong, if you ask me, she simply expressed her opinion in a very calm way, not mentioning any names whatsoever. When in her positions, having such a large audience and "following" why not use her fame to get people talking about certain concerns and issues. We all want to play a part in making the world a better place, and we all have different ways of going on about that. I write about stuff, someone else might get involved with an association; Meryl Streep spoke to millions of people during the Golden Globes.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, including celebrities. I applaud Ms. Streep for using her status to talk about something that clearly matters to her and is very relevant today.