9 Things I Am Thankful For That Purdue Has Brought Me

I wouldn't be the same without this place.

112
Carly Robinson

Dear Purdue University,

I chose Purdue because of a reason that may seem silly to the outsider looking in. Purdue was the very last school on my list; just a backup school to vary my options. While on my visit, we were taken into the cafeteria during lunchtime to grab food and take a break. Minutes before walking into the cafeteria, I thought to myself: C’mon God, just give me a sign or something to help me make a decision. Right when I opened the doors to the cafeteria, the song that stands for my most beloved great-grandma’s legacy, “You Are My Sunshine,” was playing throughout. This is it, I thought, this is where I belong.

1. Thank you, Purdue, for that one little sign that helped me make the decision to spend the next four years of my life here.

2. Thank you Purdue for helping me learn how to take care of myself, make my own daily decisions, learned from my mistakes, and how to be an independent woman in charge of my own time.

When I moved in early for the welcome week, I was forced to be alone and on my own for the first time in my whole life. Moving into college with a roommate I did not know, pushed me the farthest outside of my comfort zone I had ever been and for this I am thankful.

3. Thank you, Purdue, for showing me that I am definitely not a science or math person.

You have shown me that the correct path for me is to follow my dreams in writing, English, and criminal justice. Purdue has allowed me to understand what the best fit is for me, and because of that, I have made plans to go to law school.

4. Thank you, Purdue, for challenging me every single day with stress, exams, extracurricular activities, having a social life, and trying to balance my personal health all at the same time.

I have learned the importance of sleep, friends, and definitely the abundance of caffeine.

5. Thank you, Purdue, for allowing me to experience my favorite aspect of being a Boilermaker: the basketball games.

6. Thank you, Purdue, for bringing me Pi Beta Phi, the organization that I belong to and wear proudly every day.

I have met the best of friends through this organization that helps me and are here for me when I am in need. Through Pi Phi, I have been given the opportunity to travel to Europe over my spring break this year, which has been a dream my whole life!

7. Thank you, Purdue, for all the new friends I have made, in my sorority, in my classes, and in my residence hall.

These people are one-of-a-kind friends that I would be lost without, and honestly, don’t know how I made it 18 years without them.

8. Also a huge thank you for bringing me so close to my fellow classmates from high school.

I have now grown closer to the six boys and two girls who I was friends with in high school and now am able to share Purdue experiences with them.

9. Most importantly, thank you so much, Purdue, for always forcing me to keep moving forward.

When I have a bad day, there are always things that you have for me to do to stay busy and keep my mind off of the negativity. When I am stuck in a funk, it is as if Purdue is physically there for me to make everything feel better.

I would nowhere near be the person I am today without my university. Being a Boilermaker is a part of who I am, and who I absolutely love to be.

Ever grateful, ever true,

Me.