To the friend who never left my side

Thank You for Staying By My Side

A Letter to THAT Friend

359

When I look back on the hardest parts of my life, I remember the conversations. I am a verbal processor, so it was those talks that guided me through my season of brokenness to the other side. Most of the time, it wasn't one conversation here and there. There were floods of texts, hours of venting, late night phone calls and sometimes, just tears.

To the person who walked alongside me when I was broken, thank you. Some days, I felt like I talked incessantly to you. I don't know how you managed to stick around, but I'm so grateful you did.

When I was going through my season, I felt like I didn't even know myself. Your consistency in my life helped me feel known. When you didn't understand, you just listened. That was what I needed. You didn't always have the right words to say, but I didn't require you to say anything. Thank you for not trying to fix me, but instead, believing in me, always.

Thank you for not holding it against me when I didn't ask about how things were with you. I was blinded by my burdens.

I don't know how you stayed so patient with me. Thank you for remembering who I was, when I was lost in my brokenness. Thank you for always hoping for my ability to come out on the other side, even when I couldn't see it myself.

I know it was hard for you to see me that way, and not know how to take away my pain. You didn't have to be so strong for me, but you were my safe place. I may not have shown it often, and I did not tell you enough, but I needed you. And you were always there.