Thank You, Harvey Weinstein

Thank You, Harvey Weinstein

After decades of silence regarding sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry, Weinstein's scandal unraveled a series of exposures and discussions taking place nationwide.
455

No you are not wrong, this is a thank you note to Hollywood’s domineering Mr. Weinstein.

Following the countless women who came forward accusing Hollywood mogul producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct, the media has finally shed its limelight upon the unacceptable behaviors of the upper echelons of our society. In lieu of silence, more and more women and men opened up their wounds, voicing their sexual assault experiences while severing ties with predators of their industries. Thanks to Weinstein, sexual harassment claims have skyrocketed across fields – the house of cards is finally collapsing.

More than 20 famous men from multiple industries are now accused of the same crime. This long list goes on, including a speaker of the House, executive director of an art fair, former New York Times editor, director, actor, etc.

An actor of wide influence is also caught up in this domino reaction – Kevin Spacey.

The mastermind behind Emmy-winning "House of Cards" series and two-time Oscar Winner, Spacey was accused by actor Anthony Rapp for sexual harassment which took place almost three decades ago. This exposure most likely is a reaction following the fallout of producer Harvey Weinstein’s sexual harassment scandal.

Before anything, this thank you note is also from an avid "House of Cards" junkie who has stuck herself with Frank Underwood since the very start, following closely Underwood’s dirty Washington politics and his insatiable greed for power.

Not going to lie, I loved Underwood’s every move on the Hill, until it became reality. Least to say, I am disappointed in Kevin Spacey.

Immediately following Spacey’s breaking report, I found myself bewildered with my laptop screen plastered on my face for nearly two hours. The thought of Kevin Spacey, one of my favorite actors of all time and perhaps one of the most brilliant, as a sexual predator engulfed me in a limbo. My thoughts have fallen into non-sequiturs, but really I was wondering a simple question – How?

How is someone of such talent and authority lack so much moral conscious? Again, and again, I confuse achievement with impulse and cannot seem to find a way out of this labyrinth. Most of my childhood and years of teenage angst were filled with Spacey’s thrillers like "American Beauty" and "21", for once I wished I was as smart as those MIT kids who he brought to Vegas to count cards. I cannot help but merit Spacey for his forceful acting, but then I realize this force was also exerted elsewhere, particularly on young male actors in the industry for more than three decades of molestation.

It is difficult to completely archive the achievements of those who lost our respect, I mean Weinstein is the second most thanked person in the movie industry, right before God and after Steven Spielberg. Growing up watching blockbusters like "Spy Kids" and "Shakespeare in Love", it would be overly whimsical to just simply disregard Weinstein’s cinematic achievements. But it is also for that very fact, Weinstein has the capabilities to induce fear among his subordinates, fostering the culture of silence about sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry.

Thank you, Mr. Weinstein, for breaking barriers for the fearful society we reside in today.

Thank you, Mr. Weinstein, for shedding light on those who have harassed their subordinates.

Thank you, Mr. Weinstein, for your years of “honeypoting” people are now aware of the sexual ploys dominating authorities in many industries have used.

Thank you, Mr. Weinstein, because of you, discussions on how to combat sexual assault are facilitated in colleges and institutions all across the nation.

Maybe today will be the day non-disclosure agreements and threats come to a halt.

Maybe today will be the day people will learn to respect and control their impulses.

Maybe today will be the day voices of the submissive will be heard.

Maybe today will be the day that from an atrocity, we learn the hard truth, that our society at large is phased with a severe issue we ought to solve, now.