Saying 'Thank U, Next' To My Ex Best Friends

I know I won't sing it as well as Ariana Grande did, but thank u, next.

226

Saying goodbye to friends you never thought you would have to is far from easy. In fact, at the moment, it may feel like it's the hardest, most gut-wrenching thing you have ever had to do. What I've learned from saying goodbye to countless friends, however, is something I will take with me forever. Each friendship taught me valuable things about myself, others, and what I deserve and should demand from any future relationship.

J: You were the first person I ever truly confided in, and the first person I felt I could be myself around. You brought me countless laughs, accompanied by countless tears. One thing that I will always remember from our friendship is the importance of letting loose, and allowing yourself time and space to just BE. To just exist, to just enjoy the little things, to just be who you want to be. Life is too short to spend your time curled up in your room, feeling sorry for yourself. If anything, you taught me just how important it is to enjoy life, no matter who or what tries to bring you down. I know I won't sing it as well as Ariana Grande did, but thank u, next.

V: You may have been the last person I ever expected to lose. And losing you was one of the hardest things I ever had to go through. That being said, I recognize why you left. I recognize that the things I put on you were too much for you to handle, and I don't blame you one bit for that. I appreciate that you always tried your very best to be there for me, to love me, to support me, no matter how many times I tried to push you away. Our friendship was beyond natural, and while I regret allowing us to get to the point where we are now, I am so grateful that you showed me what a true friendship is meant to be. A friendship where I could call you crying, and no matter the time, you would be by my side to comfort and protect me. You showed me the type of friend I want to be for other people, and for that, I am forever grateful. I know I won't sing it as well as Ariana Grande did, but thank u, next.

J: Our friendship was one for the books. You were there when I discovered the truth about what happened to me in the summer of 2014. You were there every step of the way, as I worked through what I needed to. You were there to show me that I needed to work on loving myself to the very best of my ability. Your constant support was something I could never have asked more of. Yet I did. I demanded attention and support when it wasn't convenient or fair to you, and for that, I am sorry. Overall, I think what you taught me the most was the importance of honesty. Not only with others, but with myself. To address what needs to be addressed, and to demand what needs to be demanded. I know I won't sing it as well as Ariana Grande did, but thank u, next.

K: The first true friendship I ever had with a guy. You taught me that guys can be good. That guys can be real and honest and emotional. You taught me just how important expressing your emotions is, no matter the circumstances. Through our two year long, inseparable friendship, I learned countless things about ways to express myself, both healthy and unhealthy. Those realizations have given me new ways to view others and their emotions, and new ways to understand and verbalize my support to those who need it. I know I won't sing it as well as Ariana Grande did, but thank u, next.

While I thought you guys would all be around forever, I am grateful for what you have taught me about what it means to be a friend, and a companion. I take what I have learned with you to the new friendships I have built, and thank god for you, because I can tell that these ones are keepers. Thank you for showing me just what I needed to see, right when I needed to see it, so that my best friends now can be my best friendsforever.