Why 'Thank U Next' Is One Of The Best Albums Ever

Why ‘Thank U, Next’ Is Arguably One Of The Best Albums Ever

If you've recently experienced heartbreak, here's your prescription.

154
https://www.flickr.com/photos/esheehanphotos/33269922295

I never considered myself a huge Ariana Grande fan. Aside from the odd good song here and there, I didn't really get the hype around her.

Then I listened to this album.

Somehow, Ariana's music has totally aligned with my heartbreak, my pain, my situation. Sometimes there's nothing more soothing than hearing all those complicated emotions sung out to you and Ariana has achieved just that.

Breakups aren't just about sadness, especially the really messy ones. They're about a loss, anger, betrayal, and confusion. Heartbreaks are their own type of grief and anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't been through a major one.

"thank u next" not only has the moving-on breakup anthem of the century (that's why it's the title of the album) but also songs about inevitable rebounds and the emotions they bring, jealousy, and even depression. Interpretation is extremely subjective, but the rawness and the realness Ariana brought to the table resonated with me and what I'm going through.

Songs like "needy" and "in my head" cut me right to the core in the best way possible. "bloodline" and "bad idea" for all those weird in-between moments when I'm not sure if I've really moved on and reflecting on all those new mistakes (that's another article). I have "7 rings" when I want to feel richer and hotter than I actually am. I have "ghostin" when I need a good cry. "break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored" when I'm feeling empowered and disgusted by the idea of relationships. When you get your heart broken, that happens to you.

I want to thank Ariana Grande for not only having incredible vocals and songwriting skills, but for the empowerment she brings me and other fans everywhere. She's gone through a recent breakup, a loss, and the horrific Manchester bombing alongside her loyal fanbase. Yet she produces two hit albums in one year and ties a record held by the Beatles. "thank u next" was able to make me feel less alone and heard in this time of pain and utter sadness. But it's also able to inspire and uplift me for what's to come next.

thank u, Ariana.