A Thank You To The People That Brought Me Into This World

I am so incredibly proud to be the daughter of two amazingly strong individuals.

32
Emily Ullman

My religion class recently participated in an exercise in which we were to write down what we desire most. What looked to be a seemingly simple task on the surface was difficult for most of us to actually put into words on paper. When told to turn to our neighbor and discuss, I became embarrassed because my "desire" was personal and perhaps slightly selfish. My partner spoke of goals for his life and influences that urged him to become better. I spoke of my need for recognition.

All of my life, all I have ever wanted is to make my parents proud. I do a lot of things with that thought in mind. I try for good grades so that I can call them up and tell them all about how well I'm doing (I told you that we'd all laugh about sixth grade one day). I make homemade meals and send them pictures to show them that I'm learning how to feed myself. I ask for advice on a variety of matters in the hopes that they'll tell me that I'm making good choices and on the right track.

That slightly selfish desire to be noticed and to receive recognition for my achievements may stem from being a little too sensitive to my surroundings but I believe that I'm not the only one that, deep down inside, feels this need. I know a lot of people that search for their parents approval in their lives. If not parental approval, perhaps its peer, etc.

There is also a much, much deeper truth that can be said here though. Kids are not the only ones that desire that approval. Parents strive for this very same achievement.

Though I, myself, am not a parent, I would venture to say that every parent out there is trying do everything within their power to make their child happy. They work endlessly just so that their children may have everything that they desire and more. And they seek the same approval that we, as kids, seek. So here's to them:

Thank you mom and dad. Thank you for everything that you have ever done for me.

Thank you for driving me too and from endless amounts of soccer, volleyball and basketball activities as a kid even though I was probably the worst on the team every single year.

Thank you for supporting me through my decisions, even when they were perhaps not the ones that you thought I should have been making.

Thank you for making fun of my supreme lack of the ability to dance and the fact that I cannot be quiet for longer than 40 seconds at a time.

Thank you for teaching me manners, how to be kind to others and to love myself.

Thank you for letting me dance on your shoes at Father-Daughter dances and answering all of my random questions about basically everything that I do not understand about adult life, Dad.

Thank you for having hour long phone conversations on a daily basis and teaching me how to be a strong, independent woman by way of example, Mom.

Thank you for putting me through two amazing schools and supporting me as I chose to go to my favorite place on the planet for college.

Thank you for always having my back, for loving me even when I am proving to be quite unlovable, for showing me that family is a sacred bond that one should cherish forever and always.

I am constantly seeking your approval and aspiring to receive accolades for my trials and achievements and yet never verbally return the sentiment even though it is always there.

I am proud.

I am proud of my parents for what they have accomplished in their lives.

I am proud of the fact that, though hardships have been suffered, they are standing tall and pushing their way through life.

I am proud to have two best friends that I can go to for anything in the world and hang out with within the comforts of my own home.

I am proud to point them out and tell people that those two goofballs belong to me (even when my mom is saying hello to all the party goers in the ghetto and my dad is glaring down every single boy that has ever so much as looked in my direction).

I am proud of the fact that I am able to think about both of my parents and smile uncontrollably due to the amount of love that I feel for them and the happiness that they bring to me every single day.

I am so incredibly proud to be the daughter of two amazingly strong individuals that have given me everything within their power so that I can be happy.

At the end of the day, we have our parents to thank for nearly everything in our lives. Parents are selfless individuals that often go without thanks for the amazing works that they do for their children on a daily basis. They are the people that have had your back since the very second you were brought into this world and always will (and also constantly remind you that since they brought you in, theycan take you back out). The eternal love that is shared is something indescribable and more important than we will ever truly understand.

So here is a much too small and yet much needed recognition of them. We appreciate everything you have ever done for us and we hope that you know that we see how hard you work for us.

Someday I'll repay you for everything you have done for me. Until then, know that I could never ask for anyone better to have raised me and to always be by my side. Thank you for everything. I love you, Mom and Dad.