A Thank You Letter To My Friend In Heaven

Thank you for all the smiles and laughter we shared together.

484

Hey there,

I can't believe how long it has been since I've seen you. Almost two and a half years without you. I'm sure Heaven is treating you pretty great. I'm sorry I haven't talked to you in a while or even thought about you that much. Life has gotten pretty busy down here, but I know that's no excuse.

You were in my dream the other day. In my dream I was hanging out with all the neighbors across the road, like we always do, and we were all talking about you and how much we all miss you. Then you came into the house, sat down with us and told us everything was okay with you and that we shouldn't worry.

When I woke up, I cried. I cried because I was so happy that I got to see you after two long years and because you told me you were okay. I also cried because I forgot how much I missed you. But I just want to say thank you for that little sign. It gave me more reassurance and comfort than you'll ever know

I'll never forget the day I heard you passed away. It was a seemingly typical Saturday morning at college. I was sitting in bed and was on Twitter, then I noticed some tweets that began to send chills down my spine. My brother called me moments later, crying and barely got out the words about you. I couldn't believe what he was telling me. How could you of all people be taken away so quickly? Nineteen was too young to be taken away. You had so much to look forward to in life and so much more to achieve. My body went numb, I couldn't breathe and I collapsed to the ground. I didn't know what to do. I ran out of my room and went to the chapel on campus and prayed and cried harder than I ever had before in my life. In my hours in the chapel, I took great comfort from God and the silence surrounding me. He reassured me that you were now in peace and in a much better place.

The following days weren't so easy. Your funeral, your wake, I would of never have imagined having to attend them for you. Everyone from school was there and it was something I wish I never had to go to. That was not the way I wanted to have a reunion with many of my friends. It wasn't fair that you were the one taken so soon, everyone agreed.

I've been thinking about you a lot more now since that dream and I can't help but smile whenever I do. I'll never forget you driving me home from school all those times and just hanging out across the road. Remember that time Allie took us on a "hike" at the beach and we ran through the woods in our bathing suits? She told us it was short and easy, but it definitely was not. You didn't even have a shirt or shoes on, but you were a good sport about it. I smile thinking about that day and how mad we were at her for making us go on that hike.

Remember when Hurricane Irene happened and you decided that it would be fun if we all went outside to play wiffle ball? While it was definitely fun, it was definitely not easy. Or the time we all went to the Tim McGraw concert together?

I'll never forget your boisterous laugh or your friendly disposition. You were always smiling and talking to anyone that you saw. You made so many people so happy.

After years of reflection, thought and prayers, I've realized why you meant so much to me. You made so many important people in my life incredibly happy. You made some of my best friends the happiest people and you giving them joy, gave me joy.

I still wear the bracelet I got at your funeral every single day. Every once in a while someone asks me what it's for, and I begin to smile and I tell them about you. And every time "Highway Don't Care" by Tim McGraw comes on, I always think of you.

Your death has not been easy. Our town was hit pretty hard that year. But because of everything that has happened, our town has only become closer. I know you're up there in Heaven with all of the other departed Vikings smiling down on our little town with pride and joy. I know everyone still misses you, all the time. You were one of a kind and can never, ever be forgotten.

Thank you for all the smiles and laughter we shared together and that you shared with everyone else. Thank you for being you and making the world a better place. Even though you were taken very young, you touched so many lives in such a short period of time. You left a great mark on this earth and brightened up our small town.

I know it will probably be a while until we see each other, but please keep watching over all of us and sending those little signs.

Until we meet again my friend.