Thank You, Disney, For Some Diversity

Thank You, Disney, For Some Diversity

While even in 2017, the diversity can STILL be low, you went above and beyond to make a difference.

15
Thank You, Disney, For Some Diversity
Shrink Tank

A tale as old as time came to the millions of screens around the world this past week. Countless children and adults alike are welcomed into the magical world of Beauty and the Beast. While the film itself was magical, I am certain that in Bill Condon's interpretation, there was an extra amount of magic to it.

Let's be honest. This film could have easily been a white only cast. In an age of time where people of color are constantly marginalized, it’s no joke that a movie can be made so simply without an actress or actor of color. Think of our current world of media — from the outrageous whitewashed roles to casts hardly of color. Beauty and the Beast 2017 breaks these boundaries. This movie creates a fresh retelling of the story instead of trying to mimic exactly the way that perhaps early modern France had been or the 1991 movie. There are fierce efforts to make sure these boundaries are broken in 2017. And while a lot of people may argue that Bill Condon's choices might have been out of line, to cast people of color or to creatively interpret an openly gay character — I believe that these editions are special.

What do we lose when we see Belle walking through the city greeted by people of multiple different backgrounds? What do we lose by adding diversity of sexuality? We should be asking about what we gain from this. How important is it to see that a diverse cast that reflects the diversity of the world as it is? Let me ask honestly, and bluntly.

Why is a “gay” or “progressive” agenda a terrible concept when it promotes equality?

The fact that beauty and the beast 2017 creates this movement quietly, is something strong and profound. Countless of children and adults are welcomed into the magical world of Beauty and the Beast this week...However, I am certain that the tale as old as time, retold, does justice not only to the beauty and magic of the Disney tale but justice a progressing world. And let me tell you, the magic of some change is to admire about this film.