Tennessee To Mississippi

Tennessee To Mississippi

My journey to Mississippi.

196
Tennessee To Mississippi
Mackenzie Webb

As I have written about before, I chose to go to a college that was 4 hours away from the place I call home. Little did I know, this new college town would soon become my new home that was just as important as Franklin, TN, my first home.

I attended a university which only had a handful of people that I knew prior to attending Mississippi State. I was definitely weary to come to a school that was so far (or what I thought was far) from home, but I knew it was what was best for me.

When I first arrived, I was nervous, excited and all around ready for a new experience. I had never lived away from home, or my parents, and was never thrown into a situation where I was almost forced to make new friends in order to have someone to talk to. I quickly learned a skill of just having to talk to anyone that would be glad to listen, or was in need of entertainment.

I would have never guessed that Starkville would soon become one of my favorite places to be at any time.

Although Starkville is very small in every aspect compared to Franklin, it still continues to offer so much to those who inhabit the city. The University within the city helps to offer a sense of community and home in a place that many people call their second home. In the beginning, it was a hard thing to grasp at the fact that this city was so small, but your thoughts begin to change quickly and your appreciation for Starkville grows immensely.

You appreciate the little things you never thought you would such as the fact that you can drive from one side of the city to the other in 10 minutes, or the fact that everything is on one road, for the most part. In the end, it's the little things that matter to you.

As far as meeting people, and making friends goes, I excelled much more in the second year than my first. Friends are one thing that is a necessity to me wherever I go. I am very much a people person, and I want to surround myself with people who raise my spirits and make me a better person.

I was able to find these friends and more when attending school in Mississippi.

I was able to find a group of amazing people who I hope to see myself having strong relationships with 20 years down the road. I thank God every day for the opportunities and people that he has put in my life because I am so much better off with them in my life and by my side.

I have said it plenty of times before, and I will continue to say it, but I highly encourage students to go to a college that challenges them, academically and socially. Whether this is out of state or across the country, it is an experience that only happens once. For me, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made to this day, and I don't regret it for one second.