Ten Thoughts on Moving Out

Ten Thoughts on Moving Out

It's a more positive version of "What did I get myself into?"

241
Ten Thoughts on Moving Out
Myslef

Recently, I've been getting much more serious about moving out of my house to be closer to school and work. Although living on my own has been something I have wanted for what feels like forever now, it's kind of scary having it all happen so quickly and right in front of your face. A lot is going through your mind, whether it's positive or negative, so here are ten things that have endlessly been running through my mind since it all became so real:

1. Rent Money.

My biggest concern is, of course, rent and bill paying. It feels as if I'm going to have to pick up all the shifts I can in order to pay rent AND be able to actually live. Looking for a place that fits your budget is hard, especially in New York, but I guess it's all part of the adult struggle.

2. Privacy.

Granted, I love my family and I love being at home with them but, it's annoying when you have your name being called and your door being violently swung open every few minutes. Am I the only one who gets a million and one questions when you have to go out or you want to bring someone over?

3. Independence.

I guess this is a part of becoming an adult. You learn how to handle things on your own or with your roommate and the occasional call to mom. I'm not as stressed about this as you would think, I am a lot more excited because I love handling things on my own. It's basically a level up, It's gonna be harder... but I'll get through it.

4. Where are my two dogs staying?

I have a 5 year old, Luna, and an 8 month old, Bella, who have my whole heart. My mom said that she wants to keep Luna because Bella is too much, but I can't split them up. What am I supposed to do?

So, of course, I'm co-parenting with my own parents and we've decided that I can take my baby girls on weekends.

5. Freeeeeeeeeeedom!

I didn't fully understand the amount of freedom I was going to have until people started making plans in the apartment I'm not even in yet. Or when someone asks for a key, like I'm about to be OK with friends coming in and out of my own place. Maybe I saw this coming when I already started inviting people to a housewarming party and told them there was "going to be a lot of food, wine, and tequila." I'm not entirely sure how it's gonna be, but I'm excited.

6. Am I going to starve and die?

I ALWAYS hear these horror stories about college students who can only BARELY afford to eat ramen every day. My future roommate and I are crazy about food so dieting isn't an option.. and neither is starving! @Mom, Can you come over and make me dinner for the week?

7... So you're telling me I have to furnish my apartment...?

Ikea is LOVE, Ikea is LIFE... With a dash of Raymour and Flanigan, Target, Walmart...

We have a list, a pretty short list, but it's still a list of everything we want in the apartment.

Necessities: Bed/Mattress, Chests, Dinner Table & Chairs

Not-So-Necessities But Needed: Sofa, Giant Teddy Bears, TV/TV Mount & Coffee Table

8. Wine Fridge.

There is gonna be a fridge in this apartment, but is one fridge really enough?

Enough for food, water, drinks, leftovers, fruits, snacks....? DIDN'T THINK SO.

The wine fridge will be found in my room.

9. Work Hours.

I work a lot, I love working and I always have, but now that I absolutely HAVE to work.. I rather stay home. Here I am signing my life away to working 'till I drop to pay my bills and rent! #ADULTING

10. Did I say Privacy?

I'm celebrating y walking around naked, leaving my pants in the bathroom and not having to hear my parents say "What did I tell you about leaving clothes on the floor?" I can now stay up as late as I want or get up as early as I want, no questions asked. Let me face my own consequences, I'll learn eventually.

Shout out to my future roommate for being the best person I could have ever possibly chosen to room with now, and for having all the same things in mind for when it comes to moving out.

Extra special shout out to both of my parents for raising me the way they did because we both know that I'll survive this and when you come visit the apartment, everything will be clean and organized!