10 Things You Should Do If You're Feeling Sad

Turn that frown upside down!

342
Photo by Nik Shuliahin on Unsplash

When sadness takes over, sometimes it feels like we’re trapped in a dark box making it difficult to escape. Lately, I’ve been feeling sad due to stress from school and homework. The cold and gray weather makes me feel depressed. However, I’ve been doing these 10 things to help me break that nasty cycle, that way I don’t fall in any deeper.

1. Let out your creativity.

Letting our your stress with creativity helps so much. Lately, I’ve been feeling really overwhelmed with school and homework, so I decided to draw and doodle as a way of stress relief. I felt so much better afterward and it helped me get creative; it also served as an item to decorate my room with. You can even draw or paint something significant to hang on your wall as a reminder of how wonderful you are!

2. Listen to hypnosis or ASMR.

I started listening to sleep hypnosis when I was in high school and going through a breakup. Usually, I’ll download an app on my phone (currently I have one called Relax & Sleep Well from the Apple store for free) and I wear my headphones to really listen. The soothing voice really helps. Within 15 minutes, I’m knocked out and wake up the next day feeling great. There are also various types of hypnosis videos for different reasons available on Youtube.

3. Cry if you need to.

The other day I had a horrible day. I cried in front of a professor after confronting him about a paper that I worked super hard on but received an F due to a mistake. I have been struggling so much to please this man, that this day was my breaking point. After one tear came down, it was over. It was like a waterfall of tears that couldn’t be stopped. I had to run to the bathroom to hide from embarrassment, but then I got home and cried some more. I felt so much better after and I don’t care if it was embarrassing. At least I don’t feel crappy anymore.

4. Talk to someone you trust.

Talking to someone you can trust is also a great idea. Instead of bottling up all those negative and sad feelings, the best thing to do is tell someone else and relieve yourself. I do this a lot with my friends (they’re probably tired of hearing it), but at the same time, it’s nice to have someone to listen and hopefully give you some great advice.

5. Do exercises.

Sometimes the last thing you want to be doing when sad is getting up to workout; trust me, I’m totally with you. However, I’m not saying you have to sign up for a gym, but you can work out from home! For example, I’ve been stretching and meditating at night before I go to bed. Sometimes I’ll also do it in the morning, but lately, I’ve been feeling lazy so I stick to the night time. Stretching helps me pay attention to my breathing and most importantly, it helps me relax.

6. Take deep breaths.

Go to a quiet place. It could even be your room. You can sit or lay down and just let your body relax. Start by breathing regularly and paying attention to your breath. Forget all the sounds around you and just focus on your breathing. Little by little, breathe deeper and inhale more air. You’ll notice your stomach rise. When exhaling, also do it slowly and feel how your stomach goes in and your chest expands. You’ll note a feeling of tranquility afterward.

7. Hang out with your friends.

I know sometimes it can be hard to get yourself to go out and hang out with friends if you’re sad. But, don’t forget that there is a way out of it. Fight the negativity and go out with your friends. Go to the mall, to a bar, to a party or for a walk; just do something. Hang out with friends that way they can keep you distracted from feeling crappy. Trust me, it works!

8. Read an interesting book.

If you’re not into books, that’s okay. You can even look up short stories online for free. But, reading a book, especially an interesting piece, can really help with the way you feel. Look for something you connect with, for a quote, a saying or something meaningful. Affirmations are also a great to help you cope with your problems and to help you push forward with your goals.

9. Write down your feelings.

When something happens, the best thing for me is to write it down. Whether I’m sad, mad or happy, I write it down. I’ve found this super helpful, especially when I look back at them (I usually keep them on my notes on my phone) and realize how much I’ve grown up, which makes me happy of the current place I am in my life.

10. Improve your diet.

Believe it or not, the way you eat does affect the way you feel. Many people may not know this, but it’s true. I would definitely recommend eating healthier, especially eating more vegetables, greens and fruits to give you natural energy and help you feel good about yourself. If you don’t believe me, I say I dare you to try it!