10 Things You Realize When You Move Across The Country For College

Who am I, really?

34
Julian Partridge via Flickr

Moving away to college is an experience that changed me completely. You learn so much about yourself just by changing your environment. This experience resulted in many hardships, but also in many fortunes. Here are ten things that I realized when I moved across the country for college.

1. You need to be open to new friendships and experiences.

When you move across country to a land far away where you know very few, if any, people, you realize that being open-minded is your most valuable resource. Never underestimate the importance of making friends and taking time to try new things.

2. You need your personal space.

While it's important to surround yourself with wonderful friends and acquaintances, it's equally important to carve out time to spend with yourself. This gives you the opportunity to reflect, away from the hustle and bustle of college life.

3. You need to stay in contact with friends and family back home.

You're now a college student, living far away from home, and everything has changed. Maintaining strong bonds with my friends and family back home while I am in college has helped me stay grounded and realize what's truly important.

4. You can't leave any stone unturned.

College is all about experiences. Taking yourself out of your comfort zone and trying things that frighten you will benefit you in the long run. Never pass up an opportunity because you feel you aren't good enough to succeed--you really, truly are good enough.

5. You are responsible for your own well-being.

When you live with your parents, you don't usually understand all of the little things that you must do so that your day goes by smoothly. Doing the laundry, paying bills, and buying groceries are all chores that parents usually do for you. Once you're in college, you realize how important it is to stay on top of these obligations. Even more, you realize that nobody will get these things done except you.

6. There is no linear path to success or happiness.

When I was younger, I saw success and happiness as goals to be obtained through getting a good job and making lots of money. Now that I'm in college, I realize that these two goals are not attained through a specific action or plan, but rather through hard work, self-love, and constant self-reflection.

7. Your mind will change--A LOT.

Just like with my previous point, I thought my goals would remain the same throughout my entire college career. Boy, was I wrong. It seems that I have a different life plan each day but I have learned to embrace that and go with it, rather than feeling angry at myself for not having it all figured out in this moment.

8. You will fail more times than you can imagine.

Failing is a part of life that is inevitable, and actually quite beneficial for you. It allows you to pinpoint your weaknesses and dedicate time to things that you really want to succeed in. Failure should not be seen as a bad thing; rather, failure should be the fire that causes you to grow as a person.

9. You will miss home more than you think.

My first semester of college was tough. I missed my friends, my family, and my home. My life was turned upside down and thrown around a few times too. As you go on, it becomes much easier, though. Making friends, staying involved, and creating a life on campus all helped me overcome this yearning for my past life.

10. You will never be the person you were before you set foot on campus your freshman year.

You will inevitably become a completely different person after spending your undergraduate years on your campus. The person you become will be more confident, intelligent, and strong. You will make friends, gain experiences, and develop an insight like you never imagined. Don't underestimate the power of your college years.