10 Things All Pre-Med Students Should Know About Second Year

The things no one really tells you.

208

As a Pre-Med student entering my third year, I can't help but see all of the obstacles that are coming my way this year. Not only do I have to prepare for the MCAT, raise my GPA, look at potential schools I would like to attend, and make sure my resume is golden, I also have to maintain the healthy life style of a normal 20 year old. I feel so behind in my journey, but I need to not forget how far I have actually come. I should be very proud after all of the struggles I went through last year. I beleive that if any pre-med student can make it through second year, then they really can make it anywhere! As I was reflecting back to everything that happened last year, I wanted to compile a list for those pre-med students just going into their second year. It's not going to be easy, but if I can make it through then anyone who is willing to work hard can make it through too. So here are ten things every pre-med student should know before entering their second year.

1. You have heard right, Organic Chemistry is Terrible.

Organic Chemistry is probably the hardest class I've had to take so far in college. It will test how you've taught yourself to study, if your note taking is efficient, and if you ask appropriate questions. It is not a walk in the park class, and you need to study every single day no matter how much you hate it. Going to your teacher's office hours is a must, as well as any review sessions. You also can't be afraid to ask questions whenever you have them because I can't tell you how many times I needed to ask a question but was too afraid and it ended up being on the test. This class will make you cry and test all of your limits, but the good news is that you can make it through it. If you study, read the book, do millions of practice problems, attend office hours, and dedicate your life to the class--kidding--you'll be a student who gets an A or B in the class. Just think about the class as being one of the many stupid obstacles in your way of becoming that amazing doctor. If you put your mind to it, you can overcome it.

2. Physics is important, so please don't forget about it.

Physics is also not a walk in the park, and it's terrible that they make you take it along side o chem. You want to focus all of your brain power on passing organic chemistry, however physics is always there, tapping your shoulder annoyingly. I hated physics because it involved so much math, and didn't seem to have any connection to the medical world I was trying to get into. However, medical schools do care about how you do in the class, so as long as you actually open your book, do the homework and go to class, you'll walk away with a good grade and some understanding of the class--hopefully.

3. You're going to question your choices over and over again.

I don't think I went through so many different career options in my life. I thought about quitting more times then I could count on my fingers. Being a teacher would be so much easier, and I could drop organic chemistry and not worry about my grades as much, right? I also thought about researching and how I could just do some amazing discovery in the lab for all humankind, all so I didn't have to work as hard. Please don't do that! Remember there was a reason that you wanted to become a doctor. There is a reason that you put yourself through all of this torture, don't give up now.

4. You're going to fail a test, or even a class and that is okay.

Second semester Ochem really got to me. It was the first time I received an F on a test I studied very hard for. Nothing seemed to be clicking and I couldn't understand how to change it. So instead of letting myself give up and fail, I decided to drop the class to avoid the C on my transcript and to take the class in the summer. Guess what? That is okay! You're going to fail, but you have to dust your pants off and get up again. That all a part of the path you're on. If you have to retake a class, or withdrawal from one, please don't think it's because your too dumb to become a doctor. You're not! I promise. You're just learning what failure is like early and that's okay! How you handle it is more important than the outcome. So retake the class, talk to your professor, and get the grade you know you are capable of achieving.

5. You may end up losing a lot of your friends who were in your same major.

This year makes or breaks people. It does weed out who actually wants to be a doctor and who was in it for the money. A lot of the friends you made last year might end up dropping the classes and switching to completely different majors because they realized that this just wasn't for them. That's okay. That doesn't mean it's not for you to! Both of my roommates ended up switching majors after second year because they realized it wasn't for them. But they also thought about it for a very long time before making the decision, and didn't just switch because it was too hard. That being said...

6. You may find out that medicine isn't for you, and that's okay!

It doesn't mean that you gave up and wanted to take an easier route. You tried it and decided that the medical field wasn't really a passion anymore, and that is perfectly fine! Everyone is destined for something, and if you feel that medicine isn't it anymore then switch! Go after what you want. But please don't give up because you feel that the classes are too hard and that you can't make it. Because then you'd be wrong, no matter what anyone else tells you.

7. You will be sleep deprived and cranky almost every day.

Naps became my favorite thing after this semester. I think at most I would get five hours a sleep every night because of all the studying I needed to do, and the social life I wanted to live. Please get some sleep though. It is very important when taking your tests that you don't almost fall asleep during them, trust me.

8. You will see the true colors of people this year.

I don't know why, but second year really brings out the competitive side in everyone. Some people who used to be so nice will become snarky and want nothing to do with you. Some people are too focused on making it to the top and will try to belittle you every chance they get. Don't let them. Stay friendly with everyone and make a pact to make it through second year. Friends are the only way to keep sane, and those who struggle with you allow you to create amazing bonds and friendships. You are all going to end up in the same place eventually, so there is no reason to compete now. Be nice and make friends who are good at physics and O chem. if you end up being amazing in those classes, make friends with those who need help. Please.

9. Extracurriculars are important during second year.

Research isn't everything. Get involved on campus in whatever you have a passion in. Volunteer, do research, be a tutor, join a club that isn't related to anything that you are doing, but want to do it because it is fun. While MCAT scores and GPA are important to admissions when applying to medical school, when it comes down between you and another person with the same score and GPA, a better resume will get you in, in a heartbeat. So please don't lock yourself in your room to study all day. Get out, have some fun, and start making a difference today.

10. Yes it's going to suck, but you can do it.

So many people are going to tell you to give up and that this career field just isn't for you. Please don't listen to them. As my dad has told me, you can do anything that you put your mind to. You may cry and question your life choices, but I promise you that you will make it. Not everyone has the ease of making it through these classes like you read through google forms online--and I'm one of those people. However, I'm determined to make it to medical school and to become the best doctor that I can be. I know that's what I am destined to do in life, and I promise if that is how you feel you will make it too. Don't give up, I promise the struggle will be worth it in the end.