10 Roles I'd Love To Play On The Broadway Stage

Every actor has those roles they imagine themselves in.

127
Wikimedia

I talk so frequently about seeing shows and shows I have seen, but I never talked about my life on the stage. I have played a few roles here and there but there are some roles I'd die to play. Every actor/actress has their list of roles they'd love to play in their lifetime. The characters I'd love to play have a different style and are often a challenge to act, but they're a lot of fun. And so, without further ado (and in no particular order), my 10 dream roles I'd love to play on the stage:

1. Motel Kamzoil - Fiddler on the Roof

Motel is a cute character that makes me feel how I felt when I first fell in love. His song "Wonders of Wonders" is a feel-good song and his character's development is a joy to act. I never got to see this show, but every time I see a local production of it, I always was impressed by the people who played Motel and that makes me want to play him even more.

2. The Master of Ceremonies - Cabaret

One of the most classic roles in Broadway, The Master of Ceremonies is the role every actor at some point aspires to be. Whether it'd be the marionette of Joel Grey or the sexy yet dark and charming of Alan Cumming, the role is hard to master, involves a lot of prep and being unafraid to do anything, yet also the most rewarding as soon as you step on stage.

3. The D'ysquith Family - A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

I list the family instead of one specific D'ysquith because all eight are played by one guy. Whether it'd be the weight-lifting Bartholemew, diplomatic Hyacinth or the patriarchic Adalbert, it requires so many different hats. It's a unique, unprecedented role on Broadway and I feel this would be the most fun to play just as my inspiration, Jefferson Mays, once did.

4. Cornelius Hackl - Hello, Dolly!

Cornelius Hackl is a rags to riches character flipped on his head. For Gavin Creel, acting the role that earned him a Tony is one thing. Acting this role and acting along side Bette Middler is another. And seeing this show reminded me why I'd love to play Cornelius. He starts the show looking for a girl, he ends it falling in love with New York. He reminds me that you do not always need love to thrive. But his songs are so creative and fun and his actions with other characters make this role very special.

5. Mendel Weisenbachfeld - Falsettos

I had an opportunity to see this show front row months ago and the character I seemed to relate to the most was Mendel, played by Brandon Uranowitz. A psychologist? Very relatable. A social mess? Literally me. Jewish? Well, I'm half, but it counts. Mendel is the psychologist you probably don't want to have as yours, but he's so relatable and has such a funny part in the show.

6. Jim Hardy - Holiday Inn

Following the footsteps of the legendary Bing Crosby is near impossible. Yet Bryce Pinkham pulls it off and makes the legend feel like he is alive on the stage. Jim Hardy is Bing Crosby in a nutshell. He's talented, he's a hard worker, he can play a myriad of instruments, and he sings very well. It's an old-fashioned part and it would be an honor to play it.

7. Don Quixote - Man of La Mancha

Another classic role, Don Quixote is one of the most iconic roles. He is the tragic hero, a prisoner making up this story of greatness and getting the entire prison involved. He is searching for this quest and while he does, you feel a connection with his struggle. And when "The Impossible Dream" is sung, you truly hear a resonation in your heart with this character.

8. Gleb - Anastasia

Have you noticed a trend with this article? Most of the characters are good guys. No ounce of evil in them. Well, Gleb changes this. Gleb, played by Ramin Karimloo, is a Russian officer seeking justice against the Romanovs. He is an evil character whose purpose is to follow orders with no ifs, ands, or buts. His operatic style is charming and very intense, yet I still find a connection with his relapses of good-heartedness throughout the show.

9. George Washington - Hamilton

Of course, this list would not be complete without a Hamilton reference somewhere. There are so many great characters from Hamilton himself to Aaron Burr and Thomas Jefferson. Yet one character stands out to me the most: George Washington. He is the leader, the schemer, the truth of the nation. Christopher Jackson's portrayal of our first president resonates and makes this role very rewarding if ever portrayed.

10. Pierre Bezukov - The Great Comet

No surprises here if you follow me frequently on Facebook or on Odyssey. The Great Comet makes frequent appearances and Pierre's character is definitely the most complex on this list. Not only does he have to learn accordion and piano, but also has to adapt to a warm-hearted Russian of the old school. His complexity and character make this part a thrill to watch. And every Pierre solo makes you melt and realize the truth of this character.