10 Reasons Why Going to Sleepaway Camp Was The Best Life Experience

Here's why summer camp was so important!

322

Disclaimer: This list is a narrative based on my personal experience at camp (Camp Hilltop!), so there may be some differences when compared to other camps in terms of cell phone use and chores, but I believe these 10 aspects are totally universal and represent why summer camp was so important!

1. The Activities

One of the main reasons to go to sleepaway camp is the activities! Camp is the perfect place to try new things, get out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself because of the abundance of opportunities and support available.

I was a scared child, and all of the above seemed impossible. But, just because I’m not into adrenaline-junky stuff doesn’t mean sleepaway camp had nothing to offer. My first year, at 11 years old, I discovered a passion for working with stained glass. Another fantastic aspect of camp? The activities aren’t just about doing something quickly and being done with it. Camp fostered my passion for six years, letting me grow as an artist. I started out making a framed mirror out of scrap glass and my final project as a CIT was a three-dimensional star.

Camp is THE BEST PLACE to try new things, from swinging on a trapeze to experimenting with art. Trying new activities that I wouldn’t normally do led to learning experiences and, of course, amazing memories.

2. The Independence

The biggest part of growing up (in my opinion) is gaining independence and going away for summer camp definitely gave me the opportunity to make great strides in that capacity. Even though how kids and the parents come to the decision to go to sleepaway camp varies, the process is universally the same — going to camp away from home means being on your own, most likely for the first time.

My first year, I was going into sixth grade and only went for two weeks, but even in that short span of time, I learned so much about being independent. At camp, you learn to take care of yourself (with guidance, of course), make your own decisions (activities, food choices and so on) and realize your individual values.

Going away to camp also prepared me for college. With six consecutive summers at camp (four weeks every year, with the exception of my first year), I felt (and still feel!) totally prepared to be on my own at Ithaca College. By the time freshman year came around in 2014, I was a veteran at being able to fend for myself away from home.

3. Off the Grid

Even though being away from home got easier as I got older, being off the grid got increasingly harder. No cell phones, no landlines, no Internet, no television, no cable ... that just sounds like any Millennial would go insane — wrong! Being cut off from the overwhelming number of ways to connect was actually nice. Camp gives you a chance to refresh and cut loose from those distractions. Only having face-to-face and snail mail interactions made day-to-day life so much simpler and, I have to admit, better.

4. The Nature

At camp, I often sat down and really looked at where I was. Not only was it a beautiful place because of the people and environment, but really, it was beautiful! Hills, a lake, huge trees and fresh air aren’t always easy to come by. Many of my fellow campers were from New York City, and camp was a place for them to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Camps have unique settings, but since mine was in the New York Catskills, I had woodsy scenery and a lake to admire. Being immersed in nature, even if we weren’t sleeping in tents, was a rewarding aspect of going to sleepaway camp. I learned to respect and appreciate nature at camp. Although I could’ve done without the birds squawking before the alarm went off.

FUN FACT: Every camp has its own unique aspect when it comes to nature, and my camp's was the alpacas. Yes, you read that right — alpacas. I’ve heard of most camps having goats, bunnies and horses, but mine also happened to be an alpaca farm year-round. Even though they weren’t just wandering the grounds, as they had fenced-in areas and barns, their presence was really important.

5. The Counselors

The counselors and camp staff are truly what make camp what it is: a supportive, loving and fun escape. They’re a strange combination of older sibling, parent and teacher. Counselors are there to make sure you’re enjoying your time away, making the most of your time and brushing your teeth every morning and night.

Camp counselors aren’t just there for you when you’re feeling homesick or when campers need help keeping the peace, but also when you need motivation to reach your potential. I had several occasions when my counselor knelt down, wiped my tears and told me that I need to believe in myself because I’m worth believing in, and I think the counselors' presence presence was what I needed, not only at camp, but in life.

Some counselors from the U.K. called hair-ties “hair-bobbles,” rainboots “wellies” and swimsuits “swimming costumes,” and while learning those phrases was fun, the most beneficial thing I learned from them, that I will always remember throughout my life, is the example they set as role models.

6. Learning responsibilities

Yes, camp is almost all fun and games, but not when it comes to our responsibilities. For me, our bunks were solely our responsibility, and we were tested on it every day. Every camper in each cabin was assigned cabin clean-up chores, and if the camp nurses didn’t score our cleanliness high enough, we were held responsible. At meals, we were expected to set our table in order to go up and get our buffet-style food and clean up after ourselves before leaving.

Having daily chores was grueling, especially since they were done right after breakfast, but in the long-run it was a realistic learning experience. Not only did these tasks teach us how to have responsibilities, but also how to work as a team. As long as everyone did what they were supposed to, we succeeded! The highest average score of the week won pizza, so there’s that. Although my camp ran a tight ship, I felt that I really learned responsibility, and that it prepared me for the future and the ever-frightening reality of life.

7. Overcoming Fears

I was a really scared kid. OK, fine, I’m still a scaredy-cat as an adult. But here’s the thing: camp made me less scared to face my fears. Of course no one likes to do it, but sleepaway camp taught me that it’s inevitable.

I was (still am) afraid of heights, but my first year I made myself go on something called “the giant swing.” Basically, you’re strapped into a harness, hoisted up to 40 feet in the air by a rope your campmates pull, then swung back and forth. Scary. Terrifying, actually. But I did it. And now I can say I did and know in my heart that it’s possible for me to do something that scares me thanks to the support I had at camp.

Although I’m still afraid of heights, I know now that I can face that fear, even if it’s only once in a while. That’s what camp gave me: my first opportunity to do something that scared me — without holding Mommy or Daddy’s hand — and survive, stronger.

8. The Atmosphere

Sleepaway camp is a magical place, where competition is not like at school where it’s cut-throat and stressful. Over the summer, I had a place to challenge myself without fear of judgment or failure. This is all thanks to the virtually indescribable camp atmosphere, a concoction of support and joy.

In literature, sharing a meal is symbolic of a very deep and almost spiritual communion. Not to be dramatic, but at camp, meals pretty much had that effect. One of the first things we did on our first day back was eat lunch, and though most of us walked in not knowing everyone in our cabin, the walk back to the bunk felt like we had known each other all along.

We sang songs at mealtime, because breakfast, lunch and dinner weren’t just times to eat, but to bond. As tables, we sang traditional songs, but campwide, people called on each other to sing. Some years, the entire dining hall would sing in unison.

The atmosphere at sleepaway camp taught me the meaning of community, which is something that has become extremely important to me in all aspects of life.

9. The Lifelong Friends

Aside from camp atmosphere (which I still have a difficult time verbalizing because it feels like a bubble of warmth more than anything else), the thing camp gave me that I am most grateful for are my lifelong friends.

Something about sharing a cabin, creating a home, with these people formed a strong bond between us. We weren’t just cabinmates, but a support system, a team, sometimes group talk therapy, and as corny and sappy as it sounds, a sisterhood. I know the friends I made at camp are friends for life. Not just the friends I lived with, but the ones I met doing different activities or even just waiting in line to buy the ever-coveted Chipwich at the camp store — we all share a truly monumental life experience and that connection is ever-lasting.

Wow, I’m really not shying away from being sappy here, but it’s all true. Camp is a place where I learned a lot about true camaraderie, respect and the essential value of support.

10. The Home-Away-From-Home

Finally, sleep-away camp was my home away from home. And always will be.

The most important thing going to camp gave me overall was the thing itself — camp. It’s what made all of the lessons and memories worthwhile. Just like ticking off my increasing height on a doorframe, it was a tradition to make your mark in Sharpie or pen on bed posts. (Here comes the corniest thing yet ...) The mark sleep-away camp had on us, was shown in our individual growth, friendships and memories.

These are the ten reasons (among hundreds) why going up to my parents at 10 years old and telling them I wanted to go to camp was one of the best, most important and worthwhile decisions I ever made.