10 Ordinary Things That Adults Get Excited About

Fresh sheets to me are like birthday parties to a kid
1121

Things that adults get excited about

After the age of like, 18, everything (besides your 21st birthday) becomes stagnant. Here’s a list of things that make adults excited about life again.

1. Nice pens

Listen, I used to work in a pharmacy, and now I work in a car dealership, and nothing is as coveted as a nice writing pen. If I find one that makes my handwriting look nice, I’m willing to barter with the owner for whatever it takes (or just steal it when they’re not looking.)

2. Weekday holidays

Nothing is more exciting than a mid-week break or a long weekend, so all weekday holidays are welcome. In fact, who do I talk to about getting more of those?

3. Samples

I don’t care what you’re giving away samples of, I’m taking it. Nine times out of ten, I will not buy the sampled product, but I’ll take all the free things that I can get. Hot dog samples at Sam’s Club? Gimme. Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee samples? Gimme. Foundation, eyeliner, mascara sample? Gimme gimme gimme. And sometimes, these marketing tactics work. MAC sent me samples of their mascara, and now I live by it. Win, win.

4. Clean sheets

Why are clean sheets that smell like the wind so addicting? I’ll sleep anywhere, any time, but I never sleep as well as I do on clean sheets.

5. Getting your favorite donut/brownie piece/cupcake

We all eye up what piece of dessert we want when it’s first presented, and there’s almost nothing as disappointing as not getting that piece. So when we get to pick first, before anyone else gets to, it’s the most exciting thing in the world.

6. Coffee

Coffee is life. My day doesn’t start until that first sip of coffee touches my lips. Well, it technically starts, but I’m dead to the world before the first sip.

7. Free shots

Have you ever been in a bar and the bartender puts a drink chip or an upside down shot glass in front of you and says, “Someone’s got you covered”? Is there any feeling quite as exciting as that? It’s like the most instant way to make friends, but sometimes those friends end up being alcoholics. Which is fine, but is also a slippery slope. Decline the tenth shot they try to buy you; you’ll regret it in the morning.

8. The deep breath you're finally able to take when your get to your car after work

I don’t care how slow work is or how great of a day I have, the sigh that I get to let out when I get into my car is one of the most cleansing things that happens to me regularly.

9. Coupons

I get way too excited when I get coupons in the mail for “free gifts” from Victoria’s Secret or Bath & Body Works, or general coupons for 40% off to other stores. Nothing makes me spend money like saving money.

10. Good hair/good makeup day

My life could be in shambles, but a good hair day and good makeup can completely turn my mood around. I don’t know how superficial that makes me, but I feel like I can take on the world when my hair and makeup look good.

Sometimes, it really is the little things. And as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.