Ten Misconceptions About Introverts

Ten Misconceptions About Introverts

We're not always what you think!

50
Ten Misconceptions About Introverts
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiT1uuj44PPAhWEeSYKHQ47DUAQjRwIBw&url=%2Furl%3Fsa%3Di%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dimages%26cd%3D%26cad%3Drja%26uact%3D8%26ved%3D0ahUKEwiT1uuj44PPAhWEeSYKHQ47DUAQjRwIBw%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.flowkeratinproducts.com%252Fsocial%252F9-mean-but-true-things-only-introverts-will-truly-understand%252F%26bvm%3Dbv.132479545%2Cd.cWw%26psig%3DAFQjCNGe90d1oJ4CUQt74DkRA80pY_g7Nw%26ust%3D1473561704051927&bvm=bv.132479545,d.cWw&psig=AFQjCNGe90d1oJ4CUQt74DkRA80pY_g7Nw&ust=1473561704051927

10 misconceptions about introverts

Honestly I'm tired of hearing the phrase "You're missing out on the best years of your life," because I'm a twenty something who would rather stay home all weekend instead of going to a crowed party where I am forced to make small talk with strangers that don't care about me or my thoughts. I am accused of being antisocial or awkward when in reality I'm not. Others wish I could be more extroverted. They wish I was going to parties with them every weekend, being fearless in social situations, and being spontaneous. It would honestly make my life a lot easier sometimes if I were-but, I'm not. I'm curled up in a blanket on Friday nights with an endless stack of books and a tub of ice cream. Because I'm an introvert, and there are a few things I want extroverts to know about myself and my fellow introverts.

1. We're shy

Growing up,I was constantly referred to as shy and quiet. Which if you know me personally, you know that is a serious misconception of my personality. Introverts like myself aren't shy-!we are just extremely reserved; we only add to the conversation when we have something worth saying. We hate small talk, but get us talking about something we love, and we will talk for hours.

2. We're rude

Introverts want everyone to be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so introverts feel an extreme amount of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

3. We don't like people

If you are lucky enough to have an introvert consider you a friend, you have found a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their trust and respect as being a person of real substance, you're in.

4. We hate going out in public

Introverts are very perceptive people. We pick up on energy, thoughts, and feelings very quickly. We take in data very quickly and don't need to be out for long to "get it". We're ready to head home recharge and process everything. (In fact recharging is absolutely crucial for introverts.)

5. We always want to be alone

We introverts are deep thinkers. We day dream a lot and can get completely lost in our own thoughts. We like to have problems to think over and puzzles to solve. We don't necessarily want to be alone: we just get caught up in our thoughts.

6. We don't fight

Introverts take literally everything in, and we remember every little detail. So if you are roped into an argument with an introvert be prepared because we will bring up the thing you did six years ago.

7. We're lazy

Introverts aren't lazy- we simply need time spent in solitude to recharge ourselves. Whether we recharge by reading, watching television, sleeping, or simply being alone with our thoughts, the time we spend doing these things essentially brings us back to life.

8. We hate socializing with new people

I have a tough time with this as an introvert: I hate small talk. Small talk is torture to me. People asking the same questions over and over without any intention of actually getting to know you. As an introvert, I need conversation about life, and relationships, and the universe.

9. We sleep too much

When introverts have exhausted all their energy, they feel the exhaustion in their very core. We need deep peaceful sleep in order to gain back the energy that we used up on small talk and going out in public.

10. We're nerds.

When you're sitting in class and you notice the one person who never asks questions, it's not because they know every thing, it's because they're an introvert. They are either day dreaming and totally missing the lesson or they are terrified of asking a question in front of the class.