10 Facts About Brexit That You Should Know

The shocking and realistic facts of what has happened and what is to come next.

13597
New States Man

You may not know it; you may not feel it but you are living in a time where history is being made. On June 23, The United Kingdom made their own piece of history. They decided to leave the European Union. Don't know what the EU is or what the heck Brexit means? Here are 10 facts that will help you understand what the hell is going on:

1. In 1993, the European Union was founded in the Netherlands. The EU is a political-economic union made up of 28 member states. Those states are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.

2. .On June 23, the United Kingdom had a referendum on rather they should stay or leave the EU. With 52 percent voting to leave and 48 percent voting to stay by 4:45 a.m. the decision was final according to Europe's The Telegraph.

3.The United Kingdom is made up of four separate nations: England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. In England, 46.8 percent voted to Remain and 53.2 percent voted to Leave.In Scotland, 62 percent-- 38 percent. In Wales, 48.3-- 38 percent and in Northern Ireland 55.7 percent- 44.3 percent.

4. The arguments to LEAVE the EU were that it would boost the economy and jobs, it would secure borders, and increase local control.

5. The key players of the referendum are David Cameron (the UK Prime Minister) who voted to remain in the EU because he believes it would leave Britain a "permanently poorer country in every sense" and would decrease its influence globally. While, Brois Johnson (former London mayor) has been a leading spokesmen on leaving the EU because it is time to "take back control of this great country's destiny"

6. The markets reaction to the United Kingdom leaving the EU has made the British pound fall to its lowest value in 30+ years.

7. The transition period will last over two years with new leadership since David Cameron has resigned as Prime Minster and will leave office in October. For two years, Britain cannot make any trade deal with the United States or any other states. It will have to follow the EU treaty law until the separation has become legally effective.

8. The European Union leaderships has demanded Britain to activate Article 50 immediately. Article 50 is a treaty that gives any EU member the right to quit independently. It gives the leaving country two years for an exit deal and once it activated it cannot be stopped except by a unanimous consent from all member states. Any deals made in those two years must also be approved by a "qualified majority of EU member states and can be vetoed by the European Parliament"

9. Since London has the highest numbers of immigrants, it will be impacted hard by the vote to leave because of the tighter immigration laws that will take place.

10. The UK will remain a "strong and committed NATO ally" said NATO secretary general. Phew, at least that will stay the same.

What a time to be alive! No one feels safe, US Republicans do not want gun control legislation and the UK wants O.U.T. Cannot wait to tell my grandkids all about these crazy events.