Tell Me Something Good

Tell Me Something Good

Remember the good things in a world covered in bad.

14
Tell Me Something Good
Jack Flacco

In today’s world, it is so easy to see or hear about everything going on in the world. The news can now be accessed anywhere at any time with phones and tablets. Yet, we seem to only hear about the bad happening in both our country and around the world. Between riots and natural disasters we are losing ourselves in tragedy. We are so caught up in world falling apart that we forget about the things keeping it together. It takes good things to make the world go round and this morning proved it.

I was driving to work on a calm Sunday morning, the radio was quiet and I was making a mental list of the homework I needed to get done today. The song on the radio ended and the DJ came on and said, “Hello caller! Tell me something good.” The women on the other end of line responded with “My son is 8 and has Autism. He started working with a tutor 1 on 1 at school and he’s doing amazing things and my husband and I are seeing such huge improvements in both his school life and his confidence. Just wanted to celebrate his little victory.” The radio DJ replied to her “That’s really awesome! Tell your son we are all supporting him here!”

After hanging up with her, the DJ quickly said “Hello there, tell me something good!” This time a man responded and said “Good morning! For the past 2 years I’ve been commuting to work 2.5 hours each way. I spend 5 hours in the car every day for a 9 hour work day. Next week, I have a new job 10 minutes away and I will be able to drive my kids to and from school every day since their elementary school is on my way.” The DJ replied, “I can’t imagine how much you’ll save on gas and how much more time you’ll have for family.” The man said back, “I couldn’t be happier to be with my kids more.” The DJ said, “Well enjoy that!” and hung up with man.

For the last time he said, “Tell me something good!” A women responded, “Hello, my daughter is 16 and has been officially told she’s cancer free and in remission.” The women was starting to get choked up and the voice began to shake, “If everything checks out, she’ll be able to go to her winter homecoming. The first dance she won’t miss because she isn’t in the hospital.” The DJ was speechless at first and then continued to say, “That is what I like to hear. That isn’t just something good, it’s great. Take lots of pictures!”

As I sat in my car and listened to all these stories, tears were beginning to gloss my eyes. I was so happy in that moment that there are people out there struggling and still having good things happen to them. So often when things are bad, we forget about even the smallest victories every day. The guy that goes out of his way to help the elderly lady in the grocery store parking lot, the family that leaves a little extra on the tip for a busy waitress or even someone beating cancer. “Not every day is good, but there is something good in every day.” -Alice Morse