No, I Don't Want To Drink

No, I Don't Want To Drink

I'm a teenager who has no desire to drink

481
No, I Don't Want To Drink
Tumblr Drinking

“I’m going to get you drunk.”

“It’s my goal to find a drink you will love.”

“I’m sure a fruity drink will suit you.”

“I’ll make a drink where you won’t even taste the alcohol.”

Did I miss the Right of Passage Ceremony that told me that I need to drink alcohol to be an adult? Now, I’m not against drinking, do whatever floats thy boat. That goes for me as well. I grew up in a house with drinkers, no, not alcoholics, drinkers. My family enjoys a night out, a nice glass of red wine, a good shot of whiskey, and even some Coke and rum. I never inherited my family’s love for alcohol though. I have no desire to drink; I don’t believe I ever will.

My question is, why is it so important for young people to drink? A good night out nowadays almost has to consist of consuming an alcoholic beverage at least once. Facebook is crowded with fancy drinks, Snapchat stories of a beer can in hand with clouded eyes and goofy smiles. I’m all for having a good time, but I can do it without consuming an adult drink. I’m not telling people that it’s wrong to drink alcohol, I’m just saying I don’t want to.

I’ve been told many times, “You just haven’t found the right drink.” That’s because I’m not looking for the right drink. My main focus is to make it through college with a high GPA and lasting memories. Memories of watching Disney movies, drinking chocolate milk, and playing board games. There is no itch in my body to consume a drink I know my tastebuds will hate. There are many reasons why people drink, could be because someone wants a fun night of craziness, had a bad break up, or just stress even. No matter the reason, I don’t want to drink.

It’s fun watching adults around me struggle to find a drink that I will like. I’ve been thrown fruity drinks, various types of beers, martinis, daiquiri, and others. Each one I never liked. My body cringed at the first bitter taste. I find more enjoyment drinking a good, cold glass of milk.

Another reason I don’t drink is because hangovers look painful. Why would I purposely give myself a killer headache? There are remedies that supposedly work but what if the Pinterest tips don’t work? That sounds like a bad day to be honest.

Yes, there are people out there who just don’t like alcohol. I am one of those people. I don’t think I’ll ‘grow into it’ or ‘find the right drink’. I enjoy it when people believe that they can find the perfect drink for me. It feels like they're trying too hard. Even if drinking might the the right of passage, I think I’m just going to stay being me.