How Young Is Too Young To Know You Never Want Children
Life Stages

I'm A 19-Year-Old Woman, And Yes, I Already Know I Never Want Children

It's OK to have your mind made up at a young age, despite what people say.

144

"You're too young to decide something so drastic like that."

If I had a dollar for every time someone said those words to me, I'd have enough money to pay for my college tuition. While I know that being young is about making rash decisions and being yourself, most people also associate being a teenager with being in the before you settle down and have kids stage of life. However, I have honestly come to terms with the fact that I never want to have kids, not because I'm selfish, but because I truly cannot imagine taking care of a child in the world that we live in today with growing social and body standards and the leadership around the world.

I've spent my entire life listening to my friends talk about getting married one day and having a family. However, as I've grown up away from my friends and family, as I did everything to leave my home state, I've been able to realize that feeling fulfilled in life (which most associate with having babies) is about understanding myself and how I work as a person. Now, I'm not criticizing anyone, especially those with children. Babies are too cute! But personally, I just can never imagine myself having a small human that I am solely responsible for.

I have so much respect for each and every mother out there, even those who decide at a young age that being a mom is something that they want to do. I cannot imagine not only the pain of going through pregnancy but the infinite reward that comes with having children. And while I realize how rewarding it can be, I feel as though I can make my life feel rewarding in my own way, by myself. I've always been very career-oriented, which was probably created by the lack of family that I had growing up. We never did many family gatherings, and when we did, there wasn't really much to it. So for me, my career is what I have to look forward to and what I have to feel fulfilled from! At age 15, right around my sophomore year of high school, I realized I never wanted children.

Ever since then, I have been far more focused on myself and the growth of my career path. Throughout my teenage life, I have been criticized because of this decision because where I'm from, having babies is what you're supposed to do. But not me. While I respect the decision of others to have families, I am saddened by the fact that every time I am asked if I have changed my mind, always followed by the same answer, I always hear, "Oh, you're too young. You'll change your mind."

I know I'm not the only teenager on this planet who has made this decision so early in life, and I really don't think that it is just me being immature and selfish. It is myself recognizing that I truly cannot feel good bringing a child into my crazy life. No matter how I'm asked, I am not and will not be having children. Ever.