This Is Why Teenage Girls Are Especially Susceptible To Depression

No, they are not just being "dramatic"

3909
girl silhouette

Studies today show that one-third of teenage girls today will suffer from depression.

Scientists still are not 100% sure why this may be, but a lot of reasons can vary from simple hormones or even the way they are socialized in society.

Teenagers, in general, are more susceptible to depression than most people. This is because teenagers' brains are not yet fully developed, so if any bad thing happens then it literally seems like the end of the world to them (this also is a big contributor to teen suicide). So already being a teenager puts one at odds for depression, but why more so if one is a female?

A lot of the time, girls are socialized to feel more pressure to be perfect in unrealistic ways than boys are because of the way our society portrays what a "perfect woman" should be. These standards placed by society are usually unattainable.

Luckily, there are many campaigns that show us that there is no "perfect girl" and we all are beautiful just by being healthy and happy individuals. So even though we are headed in the right direction as a society, it does not stop many girls from feeling the pressure of meeting the impossible goal of perfection that is still put out there.

Hormones and the simple biology of things can also prove to be a reason why girls can easily fall into depression. Not only are their brains not fully developed, but young girls can be much more sensitive to distress than others.

So not only does everything feel like the end of the world if one is going through a hard time, but it is more likely for girls to be more easily triggered than boys putting them at higher risk. It also does not help when teenage girls are constantly deemed as "dramatic" and "overly emotional."

Our society has recently put a huge emphasis on mental health because of the devastating numbers associated with teenage suicide. Luckily, we have the science to prove that teenagers and depression is very real and since have taken measures to help all people with depression and prevent those who suffer from feeling like they have no other option.

The absolute best thing that one can do who is feeling depressed is talk about it. This is something one probably hears a lot and sounds very cliche, but don't forget that we live in a time where we can talk about our mental struggles and no one will think you are crazy like they used to. Remember, YOU ARE NOT A BURDEN.

We are privileged to have so many resources that can help us when we are suffering. Just remember that you are loved and there is always someone who is willing to help you get through any struggles you may be facing.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Call 1-800-273-8255

Available 24 hours every day