Why "Teen Wolf" Isn't Another Dumb Teen Show

And why it's probably one of the best shows on TV.

193
MTV

The first time I heard of it and up until I started watching it, I thought it was, too. A dumb teen show, that is. But "Teen Wolf" sweeps even the most "hardcore" of TV show fans away with its intricate, dynamic, funny and heartbreaking plot lines, charming characters and captivating universe. It quickly became my favorite show and it now takes second place only to "The Walking Dead."

The show is in its 5th season now which was split into two parts, and the second part begins on January 5! Here are some of the main reasons why "Teen Wolf" isn't just another dumb teenage show"

Fascinating mythology from around the world

One of the things Teen Wolf is best known for is the masterful exploration of mythology from around the globe and its integration in the modern day world.

From werewolf mythology and pack dynamics, through druids and banshees, to East Asian demons and undead Mexican monsters. Human companions are also of incredible importance.

Remarkable character development

**Minimal spoilers ahead!**

I will admit one thing, most characters did start out in pretty stereotypical roles in season one. What's beautiful is that that was just set up for the complex, impressive people they became later on as they grew up and faced things no one their age should really have to face.

From a haughty pretty girl known only as the girlfriend of one of the star lacrosse players, Lydia became a strong, dedicated and still very much beautiful woman who doesn't hide her sheer genius, protects her real friends and doesn't go for the bad guys anymore.

Scott used to be a scrawny, air-headed loser who struggled to make sense of being turned into a werewolf and failing all of his classes. Now, he's one of the strongest, purest characters ever seen on TV, a responsible man who wants to protect everyone he can, is a good mentor and on the way to getting his grades up.

Badass single (and not single) parents

...who have to continue with their lives, make the right choices and deal with the fact that their children are supernatural creatures whose lives are at risk at all times.

All this death and pain

I can't say too much here so as not to spoil anything, but when you have teenagers mauled on screen, parents losing their children and vice versa, terrifying betrayal and manipulation, main characters getting killed off... The show doesn't miss a chance to remind you that you can lose everything you love at any given moment.

Friendships that will rock you to your core

All these darn plot twists

...though I'm not going to tell you about any of them because you need to watch to find out, right?

An amazing soundtrack

That is pretty much expected from a show produced by MTV, but it's still one of Teen Wolf's top perks. All of the music is perfectly chosen to break your heart at the right moments. You can check out some of it here.

Really great acting

Teen Wolf returns with Season 5B on January 5, 9/8c on MTV!