8 TED Talks To Listen That Promote Personal Growth

It is time to start worrying about yourself more.

933

Recently, I decided that I was going to listen to a motivational TED talk every day. I came up with this idea after watching a TED talk by Sam Berns entitled, "My Philosophy For A Happy Life."

Sam has a rare genetic disorder called progeria. Sam is someone who has an excuse to be down in the dumps, but he shares how he lives a happy life despite having progeria. He talks about how much he has overcome, and how if he can find ways to do things, we should be able to do the same.

So there I was, wondering why I have ever complained about something in my life when Sam has actual limitations that even he doesn't let get in the way. After listening to his talk, I wanted to implement these rules to living a happy life just like Sam. With those rules, I wanted to learn more about personal growth because I have felt that I am at a standstill with my personal growth.

Hopefully, these eight TED talks will help you promote personal growth as well.

1. The Gift And Power of Emotional Courage

Psychologist Susan David shares how the way we deal with our emotions shapes everything that matters: our actions, careers, relationships, health, and happiness.

In this deeply moving, humorous and potentially life-changing talk, she challenges a culture that prizes positivity over emotional truth and discusses the powerful strategies of emotional agility. A talk to share.

2. There's More To Life Than Being Happy

Our culture is obsessed with happiness, but what if there's a more fulfilling path? Happiness comes and goes, says writer Emily Esfahani Smith, but having meaning in life -serving something beyond yourself and developing the best within you- gives you something to hold onto.

Learn more about the difference between being happy and having meaning as Smith offers four pillars of a meaningful life.

3. Happiness And Its Surprises

Cognitive researcher Nancy Etcoff looks at happiness -the ways we try to achieve and increase it, the way it's untethered to our real circumstances, and its surprising effect on our bodies.

4. Happiness By Design

Graphic designer Stefan Sagmeister takes the audience on a whimsical journey through moments of his life that made him happy -and notes how many of these moments have to do with good design.

5. Why You should Define Your Fears Instead Of Your Goals

The hard choices -what we most fear doing, asking, saying- are very often exactly what we need to do. How can we overcome self-paralysis and take action?

Tim Ferriss encourages us to fully envision and write down our fears in detail, in a simple but powerful exercise he calls "fear-setting."

Learn more about how this practice can help you thrive in high-stress environments and separate what you can control from what you cannot.

6. You Are Not Alone In Your Lonliness

Being open and vulnerable with your loneliness, sadness and fear can help you find comfort and feel less alone, says writer and artist Jonny Sun.

In an honest talk filled with his signature illustrations, Sun shares how telling stories about feeling like an outsider helped him tap into an unexpected community and find a tiny sliver of light in the darkness.

7. The Surprising Habits Of Original Thinkers

How do creative people come up with great ideas? Organizational psychologist Adam Grant studies "originals," thinkers who dream up new ideas and take action to put them into the world. In this talk, learn three unexpected habits of originals -including embracing failure.

"The greatest originals are the ones who fail the most, because they're the ones who try the most," Grant says. "You need a lot of bad ideas in order to get a few good ones."

8. Success, Failure, And The Drive To Keep Creating

Elizabeth Gilbert was once an "unpublished diner waitress," devastated by rejection letters. And yet, in the wake of the success of 'Eat, Pray, Love,' she found herself identifying strongly with her former self.

With beautiful insight, Gilbert reflects on why success can be as disorienting as failure and offers a simple -though hard- way to carry on, regardless of outcomes.