Are You Addicted To Your Phone?

Are You Addicted To Your Phone?

Words of advice from one to another.

28
Are You Addicted To Your Phone?

Why is today's generation completely focused on the wrong things?

I see a lot of kids, teens, and young adults around me and on social media that are focused on the wrong things. It is easy to idolize something that isn't meant to be idolized. Most of the time, it's technology - our cell phones.

Technology has completely changed the way the world works; and while it may improve how we function as a whole, it also can have a negative impact on us and the society around us.

How many people do you know that could stand to be separated from their phones, tablets, laptops, etc.? Since when has it become acceptable to walk around with our eyes glued to a screen? Since when did it become okay to be obssessed with Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter?

So easily we get swooped up into the wrong things. We spend our time on our phones, instead of in the Word of God, studying for that test, driving, talking with friends, and spending quality time with family. It is SO important for us to get some space, especially from the world that invades your life every time you open your phone.

I know I am guilty of this as well, but I really am trying to better myself when it comes to this. Why, when we are out with friends, family, or co-workers, do we always pick up our phones instead of talking to the people we went out with? Aren't you supposed to hang out with people to laugh and have fun, and not to stare a screen the whole time? Did the definition of respect and building relationships change??

No, I am not saying Snapchat is evil - I am not saying any of this is evil and that we should never do it.

HOWEVER

I am saying that we do these things too much, and that we could better ourselves and our minds if we spent those hours doing something good for the world around us.

You can catch up on the latest celebrity gossip another time, you can look through FB some other time, and you can post an hour long Snapchat story on a different rainy day.

Un-glue your eyes from the screen and live your own life, observe things going on around you. Don't spend all your time staring at a screen, only to look up and realize that you have missed your life.

Life is a beautiful thing; don't be so consumed with looking at everyone else's, when you should be living your own.

I think media and technology can have a good impact, if it is used correctly and in moderation. There are many great advances that technology has brought us that otherwise we would not have found.

However, technology and the media has also opened doors to the not so good things like: porn, cyber-bullying, addiction, obsession, and a weak or non-existent relationship with the One who really matters.

We are so guilty, me especially. We are found scrolling through Facebook instead of flipping through through Bible. Why is it that we would rather look at everyone else's lives, instead of spending time with the One who GAVE us life?

This generation's focus is on the wrong things, unimportant things, un-safe things, and technology and media plays a huge role in this.

We must make an active movement to fight against the consuming doom of technology and media, and their effects on us individually and as a group.

It's up to our generation. It will only get worse if we don't realize whats happening and we don't do anything to change it.

Let's face it - too much technology can ruin your life.

There are a couple of ways we can fix this. If you are able, and feel just as convicted as me, maybe we could try some of these together.

1. Delete Instagram off your phone.

It is so easy to open up the app, and it makes it even harder to not open it when it becomes a habit. Don't just log on to it on your laptop, if you make a commitment to yourself, stay with it.

2. Delete Facebook off your phone.

If the app is on your phone, it will be a whole lot easier to focus on important things once the app is gone. Maybe you don't delete it for forever, maybe just challenge yourself to do it for a week. Give it that time, and see how your life changes, maybe you'll enjoy and take advantage of that extra time.

3. Instead of texting people, maybe try calling them to chat instead.

Maybe even try writing letters.

4. If you are so consumed with putting your whole life on Facebook, maybe try blogging it instead.

This is a much more efficient way to share your story with the world. Plus it's really cool.

5. Last but not least, be sure that when you do take a break from social media, that you stay true to your word.

Get an accountability partner. Someone that can keep you accountable and help you stay true to your goal.

All of these may seem outrageous and strange, but if you just try it, maybe start with doing these or one of these for just one day, just wait and see how much more time you will have on your hands. The average person spends about 5 hours a day on their phones. This alarming number may be shocking to a few, but in all honesty think about what you could be doing with those 5 hours if you weren't on your phone? Maybe just dedicate 30 minutes to your phone or social media a day, maybe we need to start small. Maybe we need to start big. Maybe we need to just do whatever we can to rid ourselves of the addiction we have with our phones and social media.

Let's do this.