Tech Week As Described By Parks And Recreation

And then God said, "Let there be tech week"

48

For those of you who don't perform theatre, the week leading up to a show is commonly referred to as "tech week." Any performer or theatrical technician alike will tell you that it is basically hell week. You suffer through long hours with little to no breaks every day from that Sunday until the show on Friday. However, in the end, it is worth it. You've helped create an artistic masterpiece and will be merited for your hard work with thunderous applause. But that doesn't mean it is all sunshine and rainbows. Here's each day of tech week as described by the characters of Parks and Recreation:

1. Sunday Cue to Cue

This is arguably the longest and most physically and mentally draining day of tech week. Cue to cue is really just a bunch of standing in one spot for long periods of time while the tech crew adjusts light cues. It can be mind-numbing and irritating but it has to be done. If there are no lights, the audience won't see your bright, shining faces!

2. First full tech run

Odds are, this is the first time you will be running the entire show with full tech, makeup, hair, costume, etc. You and the entire cast and crew WILL make mistakes. That's what the first run is for; to clean up awkward transitions, work out any quick changes and get used to being where you need to be on stage.

3. Final dress rehearsal

It's been a long week. You've been in tech since Sunday and more likely than not, the entire cast and crew is only running on a few hours of sleep and dangerous amounts of caffeine. However, you have all worked your butts off the entire week and the show has finally come together! This is the ultimate test to see whether or not you and your fellow cast and crew are stage ready.

4. Opening night

Congratulations! You've made it! All of your dedication, blood, sweat, tears and possible sacrifices to the theatre gods have paid off! Now you get to be rewarded for all the effort you and the rest of the cast and crew put in with copious amounts of admiration from your audience. Break a leg, superstar