Teacher's Friend, Not Teacher's Pet

Teacher's Friend, Not Teacher's Pet

I'm not a dog, and my teacher's not my owner

462
Teacher's Friend, Not Teacher's Pet
Ranting Crow

In high school, I was always known as one of "the nerds." AP classes, National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, President of Environmental Club, all of that good stuff was a part of who I was. Because of my "nerdiness", you could say, I was also very involved with my teachers. Being a part of different organizations and engaged in classes allowed me to interact with my teachers more than the average student, and many of my peers commonly called me a teacher's pet because of it. However, I am not a teacher's pet, but what I like to call a teacher's friend. I think it is important to point out the difference between the two because I think they have totally different meanings.

Let me quickly explain what it means to be a teacher's pet. Now I'm not pulling this definition straight from the dictionary, but to me, being a teacher's pet basically means that you are a suck up to the teacher and are doing so mainly to receive some benefit from it. A teacher's pet is like the annoying right-hand-man who is always trying to impress/get on the teacher's good side by doing them favors such as running errands for them. They want to be the most liked by the teacher simply to have that title, and I don't really think there is as authentic of a relationship. They do it more for show, a sort of "they-like-me-more" kind of deal.

In contrast, a teacher's friend is someone who actually has a real, authentic relationship with a teacher. (And no, I don't mean like dating. That would be pushing the boundaries.) I mean actually wanting to learn in class and asking questions. Appreciating everything that your teacher does for you and showing that by being an exemplary student. Wanting your teacher to be proud of you. These are the things that differentiate a teacher's pet from a teacher's friend.

I like to think of myself as the latter. The reason being is because I actually consider my teachers to be some of my closest friends. As someone who loves to learn, I was always very engaged in class and thus engaged with my teachers. Even if I didn't like a class that much, I would still give it my all because I wanted to make my teachers proud. They put so much time and effort into my life, so I think it is only right to make their effort worthwhile.

The bonds I formed with my teachers extended outside of the classroom as well. For example, some of my teachers and I would go to lunch every once in a while to catch up after I graduated high school. I invited my closest teachers to my graduation party and gave them personal gifts showing them my gratitude for all that they had done for me. One of my teachers even wrote me a letter telling me how much I have impacted his life and gave me a gift card to my favorite ice cream parlor.

This has extended into college as well. I have gone to lunch with my psychology professor and fellow classmates as an end of the year hoorah. My English professor has come to my RA events and texted me when she found a Disney dating website. (Hilarious but pathetic at the same time.) My honors professor brought me vegan cheesecake to class because she knew I couldn't eat the regular cake she had.

This is what I mean by being a teacher's friend, and it is honestly the most rewarding feeling in the world. These teachers have thousands of students throughout their careers, and I have been told countless times that I am one of the best and brightest that they have ever had. It gives me so much pride to be thought of that way by mentors who I truly look up to and it is one of my favorite parts of being a student.

So, I would like to end this article by giving a nod to the teachers/professors that have made an impact in my life. Ruby, thank you for teaching me to solve a Rubik's cube and being more like a best friend than a teacher. Ms. Delmonte, thank you for never doubting me even when I doubted myself. Mr. Lane (I am sure you are reading this), thank you for thinking I was a great leader and for teaching me things that paved my life path. Mr. Scher, thank you for sparking my love for math and basically being the most passionate teacher I have ever met. Ms. McDade, thank you for being the best club sponsor/partner in crime anyone could ever ask for. Mr. Park, thanks for all of the real conversations we had and for letting me eat lunch in your room every day. Dr. K, thanks for being a best girlfriend and always knowing how I am feeling (even when I don't). And finally, thank you to Dr. Reiter for being the most thought-provoking professor and for making me really think about what I meant when I spoke.

I would also like to end by speaking directly to every student out there: you mean more to your teachers than you think you do. A teacher is a friend for life if you seize the opportunity to make them one, and it is a privilege to be able to have that chance. It is a chance I suggest you take, as it has the power to impact your life in the best ways possible.