What I Would Teach Students If I Was A Teacher

Subjects not covered in class

150
careerealism.com

Often, I look back on my life to see where my current beliefs and opinions root from. Most stem from family or entertainment, but everything is connected to my academic life. Reflecting now, I would say my educational experiences molded me into who I am today, because school is the place where my bias and perspectives were tested the most. I do not know what the future holds nor can I change the past; however, I can use my past to shape a more successful future. Some look down on teachers based on their unfair experiences with unqualified teachers or their mediocre grades. I argue that being in charge of instructing young individuals is a far more arduous task than the title it carries. A teacher does not just teach and shouldn't just be teaching. They should be encouraging students to explore different topics, have confidence and be ambitious. If I were a teacher, I would instill these lessons into my students:

1. An end goal is malleable

It is good to have a goal. Having a goal is a sign of ambition and a healthy mind. I have seen many friends hit that stage in their academic careers where they realize that the paths they're on are not the right or desired journey. They beat themselves up for failing to achieve their goals but don't realize that this experience allowed them the opportunity to look for other options. You can always find another goal, and if you can not, it is never too late to embark on a new adventure.

2. Focus on your happiness, not the happiness of others

There are some students who are forced into certain decisions. In some cases, they are genuinely satisfied with this choice, but there are also others that have different dreams but cannot face those obligating the individuals to make these choices. Happiness comes from within. If one is not content with the life ahead of them, he or she should make the right selections to live a happier, healthier life. We all get only one life to live, why live someone else's life? You have one chance at life, depending on what you believe in, and no one should impose their selfish greed on another human being.

3. Explore everything you can about your interests and passions

By looking into areas of interests, you can discover career paths not commonly known but may interest you or find research topics you want to take on. You will be more successful learning about things you are interested in rather than topics you are forced to learn. Along with interest, there must also be passion. You do not have to make a career out of your passions, but you should have the freedom to express the ardor you have.

4. Be like Neville Longbottom

In the first Harry Potter novel, Neville Longbottom attempts to stop Harry, Ron and Hermione from leaving their dormitory. He is later recognized by the headmaster of Hogwarts, the school they attend, for standing up to his friends, a very onerous task. This message can be taken in a variety of ways. You do not need to follow what your friends are doing. How will this make you happy? Everyone experiences satisfaction in different ways. Once you follow what others are doing, when will you stop? Take risks, accept failure and learn what you truly want to do. If your friends are making bad decisions and unhealthy choices, you should be able to confront them. You cannot force upon a decision onto your friends, but you can talk to them. It is their choice to accept or deny your words of advice, and it is your choice to continue being friends with them or realizing that the relationship is unhealthy.

5. Take a variety of classes in high school and college

Regardless of the career choice you make, every job is interdisciplinary and requires knowledge in a variety of fields to get a task done. By having knowledge in a wider area of topics, you are more advantageous to a team or company. How do you know if you like or dislike a topic without learning the material in that topic? You need to form opinions through your own experiences. By taking a variety of classes, you can come to find a new career path or discover something you are passionate about. Along with these possibilities, a wide assortment of classes is beneficial to you as it can help you approach problems in an array of methods.

6. When hesitating, ask yourself "Why not?"

If you are attempting to come to a solution towards a dilemma, ask yourself "Why not?" If you can not come up with a reason not to do something, go for it. There is no harm in trying something. Everything just comes back as a learning experience. You will regret more if you do not try somethings rather than failing. When you fail, you know the outcome, but when you do not attempt a challenge, you will never know the answer to your questions.

I think, or want to think, that a teacher is not someone who just relays material to students. I believe that the profession of a teacher should also nurture students' ways of thinking and guide them towards successful paths. School is where everything we know is tested. Our knowledge and progress is marked through assessments and assignments, our opinions are challenged by what is considered a societal norm or popular by the majority of the population, and our confidence is struck upon with failures and successes.