These Songs Took Over My Playlists in 2022

One great year for music

14395
Hailey Hastings

2022 has been one of my favorite musical years in recent memory. From ‘Midnights’ and ‘Stick Season’ to so many other incredible tracks and albums, I knew I had to highlight the songs that I couldn't have made it through the year without.

House On Fire - Mimi Webb

‘House on Fire’ was my number-one played song of the year on my apple music wrapped, so it's crystal clear that thid was a hit for me. Mimi Webb is a straight up pop-star, the proof is right here in this song.

Sneakers - Knox

‘Sneakers’ couldn't be a better song to completely let loose and dance and scream the words to. Knox is going to be such a huge name in music by this time next year, especially if the music continues to be at this level of pop perfection.

Anybody - BIZZY

I found BIZZY on TikTok this year from a video using ‘Anybody’ and was instantly hooked. I feel like I've never quite related to a song more, truly. Anytime I want to dance around or do my make-up I have ‘Anybody’ playing at full volume.

I genuinely have no type and probably could fall in love with anybody.

Midnight Rain - Taylor Swift

I debated just putting every song from ‘Midnights’ on this list. ‘Midnight Rain’ was an obvious first choice, this sound was such a departure from anything we've heard from Taylor before, and I couldn't be more in love with it. There is nothing quite like dancing in a club to this track, Taylor Swift can perfect any genre.

Snow on the Beach (ft. Lana Del Ray) - Taylor Swift

I simply couldn't just put one song from ‘Midnights’ on here. ‘Snow on the Beach’ made this list for a plethora of reasons, from the stunning backing track to the beautiful harmonies, I was hooked from the first listen. Any song that incorporates the phrase “aurora borealis” is on another level.

If anyone ever compared my green eyes to the northern lights I would purpose.

Stick Season - Noah Kahan

If I had to name one artist who I think put out the absolute best music this year it would be Noah Kahan, no question. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, Noah is a once-in-a-generation artist. The entirety of ‘Stick Season’ proves just that. Now as for the song ‘Stick Season,’ easily, that is the song that I haven't been able to get out of my head all year. I will scream these lyrics at an unreal volume whenever it comes on.

Sweetest Human Being Alive - George Ezra

George Ezra is a god among men, so it’s natural that I would think his entire new album, “Gold Rush Kid,” is pure perfection. Every song could easily make this list, but ‘Sweetest Human Being Alive’ just might be my favorite love song of all-time. If anyone ever sang this to me I’d genuinely combust.

X's - Georgia Webster

I never went to bars underage, but somehow i completely relate to every word Georgia is singing here on ‘X’s’ about just needing a drink after a shitty breakup. I am predicting huge things for Georgia Webster this next year, she will be THE it girl, mark my words.

Tennessee Orange - Megan Moroney

So much good country music has come out this year, but Megan Moroney has really made an impact on me. From 'Hair Salon' (which I will talk about in a different article) to this incredible admission of love, 'Tennessee Orange.' There are a million things I love about this song. but mostly just how warm it feels.

Music for a Sushi Restraunt - Harry Styles

Is 'Music For a Sushi Restaurant' the strongest song vocally or lyrically on 'Harry' House?' No! However, it's next to impossible to be in a bad mood while this track is playing. Just the backing music brings a smile to my face and makes me want to dance around whatever room I am in.

And yes, I do hope Harry eventually gives 'Ant Farm' its flowers for ripping off the theme song.

Aloe Vera - Greyson Chance

If you have read any of my music articles I don't have to tell you that I worship the ground Greyson Chance walks on. I have two tattoos of this man's lyrics, he is genuinely one of my favorite creatives around. His newest album, 'Palladium,' features 'Aloe Vera' which is my absolute go-to for a smoke session or for when I just want to vibe. There are so many incredible musical and especially vocal moments throughout 'Aloe Vera' that I can't get over.

Bitch Back (ft. Fletcher) - Olivia O'Brien

Through most of my dips in self-esteem throughout my early 20s so far I have had Olivia and Fletcher to be the soundtrack to me getting that back. Both of these women couldn't feel more like just a couple of my friends. 'Bitch Back' came out exactly when I needed it to. I pre-game to this song too often just to remind myself I am indeed THAT bitch.

Cate's Brother - Maisie Peters

'Cate's Brother' has the entirety of TikTok in a chokehold. Truly Maisie Heard 'Best Friend's Brother' from Victorious and took it as seriously as possible. And we love that for her. This song has been my favorite hairbrush song of the year, anytime I am getting ready for a night out you will see me in the mirror with this track on screaming the words.

Also, I just saw Maisie live a few weeks ago in LA and this song was an absolute party.

Blonde - Maisie Peters

I could write an entire fluff piece on why I think Maisie Peters is a pop star people will still be talking about for decades to come. She has completely mastered the art of pop songs in the way that only artists like Carly Rae Jepsen and Taylor Swift- era 1989 have. Maisie, with 'Blonde', truly had feral girl summer in full swing and I was right there with her, bleaching my hair until it was as beach blonde as my hair would allow.

Nonsense - Sabrina Carpenter

Sabrina Carpenter has proven with 'Emails I Can't Send' that she is a pillar in the pop music world. (I Will talk so much more about that album in a top albums of the year article I am working on) From the record 'Nonsense' is the track that I just can never get out of my head. When she said, "woke up this morning thought I'd write a pop hit" she truly accomplished that mission. I think this is one of my favorite songs out of her entire discography and think that being able to put together a song like this puts Sabrina in a whole different league than even I, as a huge fan, would have put her in before.

And that Christmas remix?! No, she came to do what she came to do with that one.

How Do You Love Somebody - Why Don't We

People sleep on Why Don't We as a group because of typical boyband tropes, which I understand, the bubblegum pop isn't really for me either at this point, but 'How Do You Love Somebody' is a complete departure. I have supported these guys since the day the band was announced and couldn't be more proud of their musical growth, If you're as obsessed with this mature pop-rock sound from the guys, be sure to follow their solo careers closely, I know Daniel Seavey just put out a killer track!

Ms. Jones - Sidney Bird

Nothing pairs better with a matcha latte and brunch in Beverly Hills than 'Ms. Jones.' Everything does indeed go well for us kids (im 25) in California. I have this song blaring through my headphones at least a few times a day.

Waves - The 502s

The 502s have brought so much joy into my life over the last year. Every single one of their songs feels sun-kissed. It's rare to find a group that solely makes feel-good music, but that's what you get with The 502s. If driving down the coast at sundown could be wrapped up into one song I am fully convinced that song would be 'Waves.' If I don't see them live soon, in Los Angeles, I will be devastated.

Hindsight - Jake Wesley Rogers

Listen, Jake Wesley Rogers may have crafted the happiest song of all time. I haven't been able to turn this track off since sitting in the theater and hearing 'Hindsight' on the soundtrack to 'Bros' (one of the best rom-coms in YEARS). I can't help but instantly be in the best mood whenever this song is on. It has been a long time since I have allowed anything to make me feel unadulterated joy in this way.

Tattoo - Young Culture

' Tattoo' is this incredible pop-rock song that I found on TikTok that feels like it was plucked right from an early 2000s movie soundtrack. Any song that manages to reference 'Pieces of Me' by the queen of pop, Ashlee Simpson, is an easy favorite for me. I haven't done a deep dive into Young Culture, but 'Tattoo' has me convinced I would be overly obsessed. They recently put out an album, 'You Had to Be There' which I will check out ASAP!

When You're Gone - Shawn Mendes

Shawn Mendes is years into his career, and yet, 'When You're Gone' is, in my opinion, the best song of his career. Now don't get me wrong, I am, and have always been, as big of a Shawn Mendes fan as anyone else. I've been around since vine, I've been to the shows and always supported his music, so this isn't me discrediting his career thus far. But truly, it feels like 'When You're Gone' is Shawn finally finding his groove sonically. I am fully ready for a whole record of tracks with this vibe.

Nothing beats being drunk on City Walk and this song blasting through the speakers, it's unmatched.

Connect with me!

Email: underpnkskiess@gmail.com

Twitter!

Instagram!