Tattoos In Modern Society

Tattoos In Modern Society

A very brief history of tattoos and how modern day society helped mold their new existence.
2182

Tattooing has been around since 3,000 B.C. and has been used for many different reasons. The oldest tattooed mummy was found to have tattoos at different parts of the body considered acupuncture points, or for medicinal purposes. Other than that, tattoos are used throughout history for self-expression, to remember important life events, represent a high social class and to signify that you are part of a certain tribe.

In the past 10 years or so, tattooing has become more common. All different types of people, from young to old, get tattoos for different reasons. Though it has become more common, there are many different stereotypes surrounding modern tattoo culture. The stereotypes include not being able to get a job, being generally unprofessional, regret when you’re older, what will you look like when you’re older, etc.

Most of these ideas stem from older generations where they may hold stricter expectations from the millennial generation. These expectations are untrue, but I believe we’re working towards getting rid of them.

Sometime in the future, tattoos will be seen as professional and even more people will have them.