How Tattoos Can Help Self-Harm Victims

How Tattoos Can Help Self-Harm Victims

Tattoos are not only a stylish fad to have, but can help self harm victims over come the past.

312
How Tattoos Can Help Self-Harm Victims
Tumblr.com

Warning: Some images may be triggering for viewers.

Tattoo’s today are considered to be a innovative way to express yourself through artwork. In many cultures, it is also considered the right of passage. On any given day, it is hard to skim through a crowd without spotting people of all ages with various tattoos on the arm, neck, leg, chest, or face. Many people illustrate a significant time in their life through imagery, while others may tattoo a quote to emphasize the meaning. Either way, tattoos are beautiful and can express who you are when words cannot.

Self-injury is a dangerous way to cope with internal emotions, stop bad feelings, relieve emotional numbness, or punish oneself. It has become a coping mechanism for many who have faced the hard battle of depression; self-harm has had a tremendous influx in 2014 with a 70% increase in 10 - 14 year olds. It’s a scary, untouched topic of depression that needs to be heard. It may be challenging to take the leap of recovery and changing bad habits, however you are not alone. Check out the link here for more information.

For many, having the emotional and physical scars finally heal is just the beginning. However, what is left behind can tie you to the past. Tattoos are not only a "fad" to express what you love, but it can be one of the final steps to moving on to a new, positive chapter in your life. Creating a contemporary masterpiece to be able to glance at in any given time can finally relieve the stress of the past.

Sadly, you can be stereotyped for anything. Receiving a tattoo can relieve the difficulties that you may be faced with when attempting to join the work force, or every day social interaction. When self-mutilation scars are visible, it can defiantly turn some heads along with sparking many touchy questions, and a tattoo can be just the help needed to avoid such unnecessary interaction.

Overall, tattoos can be the beginning of the road to recovery by discarding a challenging time in your life. It also can assist you to finally feel comfortable in your own skin as well as giving the freedom to be able to wear whatever you want. Scars are beautiful. If you are proud of them, do not hide them. However, if you do not want such scar, a tattoo can be a great idea. But either way, we are proud to see that you have come to better terms in your life—it is a battle scar that for many, be proud of the war you conquered! Again, you are not alone.