Tattoos Have a Bad Reputation

Tattoos Have a Bad Reputation

Having a tattoo doesn’t make you any less of a ‘lady’ or make you look ‘rough’ and ‘dirty

851
Tattoos Have a Bad Reputation

There is a lot about this generation that shocks past generations. You know, stuff like social media, half-naked selfies, so-called ‘wokeness’, and absolutely horrible stuff like saying what we think and being non-judgmental. I know, us millennials are just the worst.

There’s another sort of behavior that past generations aren’t as excepting of. Tattoos. To be one hundred percent honest, I was always so sure I would never get something tattooed on my body. It wasn’t as if my parents were extremely against me getting one, they said their peace and said I was old enough to do what I wanted. Their peace being, don’t get someone’s name or face tattooed on you. Also, no typical spots that one would get in a drunken state in some cheesy comedy flick (i.e. butt cheek, stamp tramp, etc..).

So, I waited and soon my older sister decided she wanted a tattoo. Therefore, I did the only thing a true younger sister can do – I stole her tattoo ideas and got them first. (I swear I asked her a million times before I got it done, but both of my tattoos are the ones she had set out to get). It took me a few years to make sure that I wanted to get one, I understand the longevity of a tattoo, and so naturally I wanted to make sure it meant something to me. I got all black, no color, and I got a cross on my inner arm and the word beloved on my arm.

Both mean something to me – both have religious connotations that keep me going through the day. All I have to do is glance down. Honestly though, I’ve come to the point of acceptance where I think you can get any tattoo you want. You love Star Wars? Get a Star Wars tattoo. You like Harry Potter? I one hundred percent support you in marking your body with possibly the best book series ever created. (Shout-out to my best friend who actually has a deathly hallows tattoo). I’m a firm believer in you ‘doing you’ and letting other people have their own opinions. You don’t have to like something to be ok with it. For example, I would definitely live a happier life if mushrooms didn’t exist, but I don’t hate on people that eat mushrooms. I’m just being funny, but you get the point?

Having a tattoo doesn’t make you any less of a ‘lady’ or make you look ‘rough’ and ‘dirty’ for your wedding day. I’m sorry, but having a tattoo showing does not make you any less beautiful and it doesn’t make you any less professional. I’m not sure where that idea came from. Since when has what’s on someone’s skin determined their value or their skill set? Oh, that’s right. Never.

I have never understood why some people feel the need to express their negative opinions when it is not their body and it is not their life. Sure, there is a lot of things that people do, say, and wear that I do not agree with, but it’s not my place to judge and say hurtful things. What do you get out of telling people they look bad or they look unprofessional? I’m not saying everyone go get a tattoo. If you don’t like them, then just don’t get one, but keep your negativity to yourself. It’s not helping anyone.

It has never, and will never be our place to make judgements. It’s a lot easier to just be kind.