Why tattoos aren't unique anymore today.

Not Getting Tattooed Is The New Tattoo

The increase of the popularity of tattoos has rendered them as a denotion of normie status.

6976
Not Getting Tattooed Is The New Tattoo

Tattoos are super common today. Anytime you go out with friends, or just out in general, the odds of you running into someone with a tattoo are near one-hundred percent. It's awesome how accepting we are as a society of people who are getting tattoos now. It's definitely a good thing for people to not discriminate based on others' appearances.

In all honesty, tattoos aren't that special anymore. Once used as a way to convey a deeper message, or to be used a subtle permanent reminders located on the body, tattoos have a history that dates back thousands of years. Some of the earliest records of humans being tattooed date as far back as 12,000 B.C. and throughout the world tattoos have been used for a plethora of purposes. In ancient Greece, tattoos were used to communicate markings as spies and ranking as well. Romans used tattoos to mark their prisoners and slaves. In other ancient societies, tattoos were used for social ranking in a tribe, or society. Some older European countries would tattoo family crests onto themselves to denote what family they were apart of, a practice still pretty common today.

As a species, we a have a pretty rich history of tattooing ourselves for a lot of different meanings, and it has truly evolved into a massive practice that's welcoming to any and all. And that's the exact reason why you're no longer as cool with a tattoo. As a matter of fact, I'm going all the way as to say that if you have a tattoo, you are a normie, and are not in fact incredibly unique. Just like the rest of us.

Tattooing is such a common practice anytime someone doesn't have a tattoo it's abnormal, or even questioned. I'm not going to say getting a tattoo is a mistake, but you're definitely a normie if you have a tattoo and are under the age of 30, and there's nothing wrong with that, it just means your tattoo is having the reverse effect. Whether you mean to or not your choice to tattoo yourself is edgy, and I commend bold, edgy moves...but it's just lost it's charm as a signature marking of status, symbolism and traditions dating back thousands of years. It's almost considered a right-of-passage to get yourself inked now, as I can recall how many of my friends in high school clamored over the day they turned 18- and would FINALLY be able to get a tattoo of something "they had always wanted". I know multiple people in their 20's that have regretted getting the tattoo they have, and consequently have to spend more money to cover up the area they were once so adamant of having covered by the former tattoo. Getting tattooed now just doesn't have the edgy-angst that people so desperately sought to have in the past to stand out as an individual. The over-saturation of the market has rendered the individuality aspect of getting a tattoo null

What's the saying from Syndrome in "The Incredibles"? When everyone's super, no one will be. When you get that tattoo to remember someone or something, when you get a tattoo to share a message about your past, to show something unique about yourself, to be quirky and different, and when inevitably that tattoo eventually looks like a sad wrinkled-raisin on your skin and you wonder where the years went, perhaps consider trying to convey yourself in a unique way to the outward world that is much more noticeable than the epidermis of your body.

Besides, who would put a bumper sticker on your only luxury vehicle?

Just some food for thought.