Yes, I'm 19, Yes, I Have Multiple Tattoos, Yes, They're Beautiful

My tattoo means I wanted it and now I have it.

65
Chelsea Holdsworth

Yes, I am 19 and I have tattoos. I currently have five tattoos, and I already have an appointment for my sixth.

When people see my tattoos, the first thing they ask me is: "What do they mean?" I usually tell people what they really mean, but in my head I want to say "they mean I wanted them and I got them." The next thing people start to talk about is how I better be careful because of how young I am, and that the more tattoos I have the harder it is to get a job.

My philosophy is: you don't want to work somewhere where you can't express yourself. I understand there are some jobs that have specific rules about tattoos, like the military and working as a police officer, however even then I don't think they change the way a person works. That's a debate in itself I guess.

Tattoos are expressive. They are a way to wear your heart on your sleeve. It's like decorating your house (or right now your dorm room). They can tell a story, because a picture is worth a thousand words.

SEE ALSO: 7 Small, Tasteful Tattoo Ideas With Meaning

Tattoos are beautiful and can show how strong someone is. When I see someone with tattoos, I can relate to the pain they sat through to get it and the strength that it took. After getting tattoos myself, I now respect people with the large elaborate tattoos because I know they had to sit in a chair for hours enduring the needle. Tattoos are, with out a doubt, painful and everyone's pain tolerance is different. People ask me all the time if my tattoos hurt. I say of course they did, but they were worth it.

Tattoos are always joked about as being an addiction. I know when I go to get a new tattoo, I always end up booking another appointment or talking about my next one before I leave. I go in with one idea and come out with several more. I tell myself I don't need anymore for a while, but after getting one I feel like I just want more. People ask me how something so painful can be addictive.

When you get a tattoo, your body releases endorphins. These endorphins are the same endorphins that are released when someone cuts themselves. The pain can be similar, and can have the same emotional effect on an individual. In talking with some other people about this, I have found that getting tattoos seems to be stress relieving for people. I feel that a tattoo is a scar with a happier story. I don't suggest using tattoos as a way to cope with your emotions because they are expensive and there are healthier ways to cope without feeling physical pain. However, sometimes it does really help.

Tattoos are beautiful, and I will always flaunt mine.