A Tattoo On My Heart

A Tattoo On My Heart

When someone you loved leaves a mark forever. When you hate yourself for loving that person but it's unavoidable. This one's for you.

87

There was a time

When I'd smile—

Smile like there is no tomorrow,

Like life would always be filled with glee.

Then you came my way,

Ignited a fire in my soul

That would leave me burnt—

Burnt down into ashes,

Darken my existence,

Nothing on my face or body

But leave a mark on my heart.

You thrived to see

My deep interior so naked

That it feels void in there now.

My soul never left the place

That we'd call our Haven.

Your slow breath

Is entangled with mine—

And I don't know how

To get rid of that.

Wish I could turn back time,

Go back to where it all began

And prevent committing the mistake—

Stop myself from falling for you,

Stop my soul from attaching to you,

Stop the cause of my self-destruction.

Now I grow stronger every day.

I fight back the attacks

Of your long gone sweet memories.

I kill down all that makes me weak,

And I'm exhausted.

Love overpowers hatred

But when love itself turns into hate

Do I still let it master me,

Or my emotions?

I only wanted to be a part

Of your love's harmony,

But now I've come afar.

Your inevitable absence has left me with

A tattoo on my heart.

A Revival: Greek And Roman Impact On The Renaissance

How Renaissance artists departed from the Gothic style
15792

Just as the Romans were often known as Greek imitators, the artists of the Renaissance took a big interest in ancient Greek and Roman art. Therefore, the Renaissance came to be known as an era of revival, one in which the influence of Greek and Roman art was seen in both art and architecture. Pieces such as the Palazzo Rucellai, David, and Birth of Venus are all noted for being composed of both Greek and Roman elements and styles.

The Palazzo Rucellai stands as a landmark Renaissance palace, designed in 1446 by well-known Italian architects Leon Battista Alberti and Bernardo Rossellino. The humanistic influence of the 15th century is noted in its composition, but most importantly, the structural elements of ancient Rome are incorporated within the structure. The Roman-like arches, pilasters, and entablatures give the impression of strength. The pilasters are composed of Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian orders which are reminiscent of the Colosseum. Just as the pilasters of the Colosseum are used for a decorative purpose, the ones of the Palazzo Rucellai also depart from simply providing structural support.

The David sculpture was created by the notorious Donatello. Donatello was known for his studies of Greek and Roman art, which allowed for him to make a connection between the classical world and the Renaissance. The Greek formula for contrapposto is noted in this sculpture, as his weight appears to be mostly on the right foot while the left leg seems to be more relaxed. The Greek influence is also demonstrated as David is fully nude, which departs from the clothed Biblical figures of the Gothic era and instead resonates Greek conventions. Just as the Greek Kritios Boy is described as “the first beautiful nude in art,” the bronze David was the first freestanding nude of the Renaissance.

The Birth of Venus, created by Sandro Botticelli, also appears to carry Greek and Roman influences into the Renaissance era in which it was constructed. Just like the Roman marble Aphrodite of Menophantos, the Birth of Venus employs the Capitoline Venus pose in which Venus covers her breasts with her right arm and her groin with her left arm. An obvious allusion to Roman art is the use of the Roman goddess Venus as the subject of the painting. The use of classical subject matter is strategical as it appeals to the rich Florentines who patronized such pieces.

The Renaissance is known as the “rebirth” or “revival” of Greek and Roman styles and conventions. Such Greek and Roman influences are well noted in the Italian-made pieces such as The Palazzo Rucellai, which can be compared to the Colosseum, David, which can be compared to the Kritios Boy, and The Birth of Venus, which can be compared to the Aphrodite of Menophantos. It is this revival that is credited with helping European artists and architects depart from Gothic styles, among others, while bringing back notorious Greek and Roman ones.