Demi Lovato overdose
Politics

Whether Or Not Addiction Is A 'Disease,' It Doesn't Change The Fact That Addicts Need Our Help NOW

Demi Lovato pleaded for our help, yet we still blame her for her own addiction.

215
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0j1yuC3GgQ

Yesterday, news broke that Demi Lovato was being hospitalized in Los Angeles for an apparent heroin overdose. Within hours, thousands of Tweets, Facebook posts and Instagram stories expressed unwavering support for Demi during such a hard time. But, where was all of this same support when the songstress openly admitted to her struggles and even said she did relapse in her new song?

I think people have a significant problem with showing those in pain the help they need a little too late. Too many times, people fall victim to their struggles with serious issues like addiction or depression. And it's not until they reach that point, a place that they can never come back from, when suddenly an outpouring of support comes rushing in for them.

Along with that, people seem to have an issue with drug addiction, in general. I have seen numerous posts on Facebook describing how addicts deserve little to no sympathy because they "choose" to consume drugs.

Life revolves around many choices. Sure, some decisions are better than others but we, as a society, have no right to judge anybody based on what they choose to do. No one openly judges a couple for "choosing" to have a child that they, in all honesty, shouldn't be having. Parents can even "choose" to not vaccinate their children (which is creating a way bigger problem than addiction) and doctors have to be fine with it.

So, why do people suddenly become so stubborn when discussing addiction and automatically assume it's the person's fault for simply "choosing" to become addicted to a highly fatal drug?

Currently in the United States, there's a huge problem with addiction throughout the Midwest. With the rapid spread of extremely dangerous drugs, like Fentanyl, coursing through bored and stagnant states like Ohio and Michigan comes devastating images of people overdosing with their kids in the room or passed out in the driver's seat of their car. It can't possibly be thousands of people's faults for succumbing to such a painful struggle. There is something more serious and sinister going on.

Saying that addicts should not be helped because they choose to take drugs is like saying the victims of a shooting shouldn't be helped because they chose to be in a public place where a gun could be pulled out at any time. They're both completely ridiculous claims. Everyone deserves to be offered support and encouragement for whatever they're struggling with, no matter the circumstances.