what to know about taking classes online

10 things no one tells you about taking an Online class

Online or on campus, school is still school.

2369

While school has been out for most people, it isn't for me. This summer I decided to take a couple of classes. Both of which involved class online. My first class was a hybrid class, meaning it was half in person and half online, and my second class is entirely online. I expected class online to be like the busy practice work we get from the access codes in our textbooks, and boy was a wrong.

So let me tell you what no one tell you about taking an online class.

1. You constantly have to check in with your professor and classmates.

While you don't see them in person, you are constantly writing and replying to discussion board posts.

2. It's so much harder to focus on the material.

Trying to focus on your laptop, or tablet screen without checking your social media or going online shopping, is almost impossible. The temptation to switch open another tab and go off topic is crazy.

3. There's no slowing down, everything has a set deadline.

Typically, in an traditional in-person class, if the class isn't understanding something the professor can move deadlines for assignments, but online everything is set in stone.

4. You need great time management skills.

Don't get me wrong, I have pretty great time management skills between all my classes and working full-time, but online classes come with a lot more work, considering you aren't constricted by classroom time, traffic, weather and campus problems.

5. There's so much more class work.

On top of having to reading 20 chapters, you have questions in every section of every chapter that you need to answer, end of chapter questions, videos that you need to watch, homework assignments, vocabulary, test/quizzes/exams, and papers. Mind you the tests/quizzes/exam and papers are after every single chapter. I don't know about you but in my classes that actually meet in person, I have never had to answer any questions at the end of each section or chapter, and my tests/quizzes/exams where grouped into multiple chapters, not after every single chapter.

6. You still need to take notes.

Some assignments don't allow you to stop and look for the answer and you can't open another tab and Google the answer and scroll forever because you're being timed on the assignment. Writing notes down will help you remember the information.

7. If you learn hands on, you're going to have a harder time.

If you're a hands on learner, an online class might not be for you. There's nothing hands on about sitting in front of a computer screen.

8. You still have to study.

Like I said before, when you're doing an assignment and you can't stop and you're being timed, it helps to have studied the information before hand.

9. Technology can be a major problem.

Websites crash and run super slow sometimes and there's nothing that we can do about it. You just have to work through it and be patient. So don't do your work last minute, you never know when the website will be down!!

10. You are 100% responsible for everything.

While yes you are responsible for most of your traditional classes, you still have the professor to lecture and teach, but online you're teaching yourself everything.