Taking Down Cancer One Shirt At A Time

Taking Down Cancer One Shirt At A Time

Flight 4 the Cure is bringing beauty to the ugly world of cancer.

17
Taking Down Cancer One Shirt At A Time
Brittney Zivcsak

Most college students are stressed about their school work or what series they should watch next on Netflix. But, for Kent State University entrepreneurship student Krista Jordan, that is not the case. Krista’s stress is centered around business: her business.

At only 21 years old, Krista is the CEO and founder of Flight 4 the Cure, a handmade accessory line that supports the fight against cancer. The National Cancer Insititue says that there are over 100 different types of cancer. 100 too many if you ask Krista. Flight 4 the Cure gives 10% of their proceeds back to cancer research at the The Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals in Ohio. However this year, Krista and her team did something different.

Meet Kayli.

According to the American Cancer Society,more than one million people are diagnosed with cancer every year in the United States. Unfortunately, one of those million Americans was Krista’s father. Krista lost her father to a battle with Leukemia at the very young age of two. “It has always been a passion of mine to change the world of cancer,” said Krista, “it is such an ugly world and we want to see it as something beautiful.” Krista’s main goal with Flight 4 the Cure is to bring beauty to a not so beautiful situation.

Kayli was brought on board to help achieve that goal.

Kayli met with Krista and her team and talked about everything that Kayli loves; her favorite colors, her favorite fabrics, and most importantly her favorite quote, 'Be Still.'

Krista's team went to designers with the idea of putting Kayli's favorite quote on a shirt. After a few designs, it was Kayli that had the final say in which design would be used, and what color the shirt would be.

The shirts launched in the beginning of October and flew off of the shelves. Ten percent of the proceeds from the shirts go back to Kayli to help with her care.

After the launch of Kayli's 'Be Still' shirts, Flight 4 The Cure sold out, with over 100 sold in the first two days. Shelves were restocked and supporters cleared them again.

In the middle of October, the men's version of the 'Be Still' shirt was launched, once again, they flew off of the shelves.

The shirts can be found at www.flight4thecure.com as well as at One Love Yoga Boutique in Kent, Ohio.

Flight 4 the Cure also sells headbands and scarves, that will continue to donate 10% of those proceeds to The Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals.

To help fight this ugly disease or for more information on Krista and her story, or to help Kayli this holiday season, visit www.flight4thecure.com.