Take Those Harder Classes In College, You May Surprise Yourself

It may be the best class you ever take.

168

Hey, you there, the stressed out, exhausted college kid who's been sitting in the library for four hours going over something they don't understand: I've been there.

Sometimes, you have to take a hard class or two, whether that be a math class, a writing class or an upper level history course. Not everyone is good at everything. And it's okay.

College is for figuring out what you're good at. That's why you declare it as your major. You love it more than anything and see yourself making a career out of it one day.

For me, personally, I love writing and talking to people. I love telling stories through interviews, photos, and more recently, through videography, thanks to the classes that I've been taking where I'm involved with our student television station.

I wanted to give up this semester. My workload increased because we had assignments to do outside of class, as well as in class. Basically, the classes that I took this semester were a simulation of a real news room. So we'd build a newscast from about 9 until 2, and then we went live at 3.

When I was on content crew, it was a bit of a challenge, especially because I don't drive. So often times, we had to find things on campus that I could film. This went for the news "packages" that we had to film, too. We had to do those on our own time.

Because of all of this added stress, I wanted to just drop out and be done with it. At some points, it got so bad to the point where I didn't even care if I finished my degree anymore.

But, I didn't drop out. I'm still here, and classes are almost done. And I'm thankful I stayed around.

Do you know why?

Because I got to be apart of a newscast several times. I got to see my stuff aired. I got to interview some really cool people. I got to edit together packages and record my voice in a radio station. In addition, I also got to step out of my comfort zone and do things I never thought I'd do like write a sportscast and be a weather woman!

I wouldn't have gotten to do these things if I dropped out. I wouldn't have many pieces of work that I'm now proud of if I decided not to finish. I have so much good stuff to choose from because I started to enjoy it once I learned how to manage my time.

I'm not sharing my story here in an attempt to brag about the things I've done or how nice my demo reel will be at the end of the semester, I'm sharing it because I was once in your shoes a few months ago. I was struggling. I thought these classes were hard, and I didn't think I'd get through them, but here we are with approximately three weeks left in the semester, and I'm a little sad that they're ending.

Classes that may seem hard in the beginning are the ones that you may end up loving by the end. You may surprise yourself and leave with some pretty cool pieces of work.

Hang in there. You're almost done.