Take A Chance On 'Chance'

Take A Chance On 'Chance'

Why we shouldn't stop coloring (book).

12
Take A Chance On 'Chance'
djbooth

Without echoing what all the more qualified, musically inclined experts have to say on the new album from Chance the Rapper, here's what you need to know about this album from your average, neighborhood white girl who appreciates great music and is low-key obsessed with Lil Chano from 79th.

This highly anticipated third album, entitled 'Coloring Book', from Chicago-based artist channels similar gospel-rap vibes that Kanye's 'The Life of Pablo' boasted of. (In fact, even the song "All We Got", which was Chance's collab with Kanye, is a creative feat that reflects Kanye's "Ultralight Beam", a TLOP song that Chance was featured in). However, this album is whole-heartedly a great representation of Chance the Rapper, and he stays true to his signature sound and vibe with this new release.

Here Are The Basics

Chance is has always tried staying true to his roots. Growing up in a low-income area of Chicago, he has maintained a humble attitude and stellar work ethic. This shows through on 'Coloring Book' especially, as he was not afraid to share the spotlight with many other artists. Those of whom collabed with Lil Chano to produce his third album include: Justin Bieber, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz, Future, Lil Yachty, D.R.A.M., Jeremih, Francis & The Lights, Saba, Young Thug, Towkio, Knox Fortune, Jay Electronica, T-Pain, Kirk Franklin, Eryn Allen Kane, and even his cousin named Nicole. These additions add so many flavorful layers to this album; no song is the same.

This release has followed the same trend that popular artists such as Drake and Yeezy have utilized, which is releasing the tracks exclusively on a music streaming service that requires some sort of membership commitment. 'Coloring Book' can only be heard through Apple Music -- you can't even purchase the album on freaking iTunes yet. This is a pain for fans who only use Spotify or iTunes, but it increases the exclusivity and desirability of listening to the new music.

And Here's The Rundown

Chance does many things right with this album, one of them being that each song is so different from the last, but they all carry the same vibe that connects 'Coloring Book' together. Not all tracks are slow or have that gospel-choir sound, but all songs on CB are full to the brim with soul.

Even look at the lyrics of one of the more typical hip-hop songs, "Smoke Break". The entire premise of the song is how he's gotten so busy that he isn't present to the extent he wants to be in his family's life, and reflects on the downside of all of the great changes in their life now. "She used to laugh at my jokes/ You pat my back when I choke/ Wish we were stuck in our ways/ We too young to get old." Chance is known for not solely singing about drugs, sex, and crime, which stands true for this album too.

If you're looking for some more mellow songs, check out "Same Drugs", "Summer Friends", and "Juke Jam". "Juke Jam" was especially sick because Chance and Justin (Bieber)'s voice pair SO smoothly together. Like dayum. Though it has already been released and floating around for a while now, the song "Angels" thankfully made an appearance on the album, and it does not disappoint. This, along with "No Problem", "Smoke Break", and "Finish Line" are good places to start if you are looking for something more upbeat.

My favorites off of 'Coloring Book' include "How Great", "All We Got", and "Grown Ass Kid". "Grown Ass Kid" actually isn't even on the official album released on Apple Music, but it can be found on SoundCloud, and is definitely worth a listen-to.

So I highly encourage you to give in and sign up for Apple Music's 3-month free trial (if you haven't already) and give 'Coloring Book' a chance.