5 Things I Wish I Listened To Before I Started My Freshman Year Of College

Take all the advice you can get - and listen to it.

22
Katelyn Barwick

Everyone who is getting ready for their first year of college has probably heard endless advice from others, I know I sure did. But that doesn't mean we always take advantage of the advice we are given

1. College is NOT like High School

I was a straight A student in high school - with minimal studying. I never had to put a lot of effort into my school work because things came naturally to me. However, college is a whole other world. I went from straight A's to B's and even a couple C's. This is college. This will happen to you too. So please listen when people tell you TO PUT THE EFFORT IN. Those endless hours in the library studying will pay off, and you will be proud of yourself

2. The Freshman 15 is NOT a Myth

You start college and have access to a dining hall. A huge buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And don't forget the dessert and pizza bar that is always open. You will want to try everything- WAIT. You have a whole year to try everything there and soon you will realize its basically the same food every week, and you'll be begging for something different.

3. Become Involved

In High School, I was involved in multiple sports, after school activities, and organizations, all 4 years. I only joined 1 club freshman year at college. And I regret not joining more. Especially if you go to a small school, try your best to become as involved as you can afford time-wise. You'll be glad you did. You'll make new friends this way and feel like you are a part of something bigger than yourself.

4. Stay Healthy

Life at college can be very stressful and exhausting. Don't forget to take care of yourself too. The gym is your friend, it's a FREE friend. If you're stressed or have studied until you can't anymore, go visit it. Endorphins are a wonderful thing and it is a good feeling when you are doing something for yourself. Drink lots of water don't live off of coffee, as tempting as that may be. Don't snack late at night, especially microwave food that is loaded with sodium and sugars. Keep healthy snacks or fruits and veggies in your fridge for those late night binges. Keeping up with and taking care of yourself will always pay off.

5. Make friends

The easy thing to do is lay in bed binge watching Netflix on your day off. But what happens when the Wi-Fi goes out campus wide and you suddenly have to find something else to do. Introduce yourself to people, and appreciate those who introduce themselves to you. Coffee dates and study buddies are two huge blessings when you need to crack down and focus or need a breather. Put yourself out there and take advantage of every opportunity you are given.