Never Take A Single Day For Granted

Never Take A Single Day For Granted

Life is precious.
54

I am reminded every single day that life is a gift and we should never take advantage of our time here in this world. Despite the days when I feel alone, depressed or anxious beyond belief, I know that I am lucky to be here and privileged to have all the opportunities I do. I just turned 20 a month ago and I've been feeling incredibly reflective since. I've become increasingly aware that life is precious and none of us should waste a single moment.

In the past two months, I've seen many unfortunate things happen; both to myself and to others around me. After a traumatic visit to the ER and a terrible car crash that happened directly in front of my house, I've learned to count my blessings and be more present in my everyday life. Though thankfully, nothing tragic happened to me or my family, those two events, among many others, could have easily become headaches for myself and my family, headaches that would be financial burdens for months to come.

I'm not someone who believes in any certain god. I believe that there is a God, but I'm not sure who I believe they are lines up with any specific religion. I place my faith in the Universe and also in crystals. I believe in a sort of spiritual healing that isn't quite as spiritual as institutional religion tends to be.

Regardless, I'm thankful for guardian angels, gods, the universe or whoever is constantly keeping an eye out for myself and my family. We thankfully escape and continue to escape the absolute worst scenario of every situation and circumstance we are involved in.

Life is absolutely and undoubtedly fragile. Any one of us could be here one day and gone the next; it is no secret that time is fleeting. Before a couple of months ago, it seemed kind of silly to be present in my own life.

I've always thought I was as present as I needed to be, you know? As a college student, it's really easy to get caught up in the outlook of your future. You study for four years in high school to determine your post-high school future, and then if you choose, you study at least two more years in order to shape your future post-college. Being present seems like a nonsensical idea when you're stuck in the crazy world of college curriculum and perhaps a few jobs, ones that help to ensure that you have a future in college.

I was so busy thinking about my future that I never took the time to care for myself in the present. My trip to the emergency room was likely a wakeup call and I am entirely too thankful for not only that but every other wake-up call coming my way. They're essential when I'm attempting to focus on remaining grounded, in the present, in my life.

Our lives are fragile. Don't ever take a day, a minute, a single breath for granted. Don't take advantage of today and don't take advantage of tomorrow. If there's one thing I've learned from 20 years in this world, it's that life is precious. Nothing is forever. Be thankful and blessed for every moment you have.