All accounting majors can relate!
I love being an accounting major and hope to work for a Big Four when I graduate. Both my parents are accountants, and I vowed that I would never follow in their footsteps. Now, I live and breathe it, and I would not have it any other way. Here are 20 truths about being an accounting major.
1. You get a little high on life when your balance sheet balances.Giphy
NOTHING CAN BEAT THIS FEELING! Balancing a balance sheet is addicting.
2. Contrary to popular belief you are not boring.Giphy
Just because you like accounting does not make you boring! You know how to have fun too.
3. You know what the Big Four are and have dreams of working for one in the future.Giphy
Ahh yes the Big Four - the ultimate goal. They are amazing and you want a spot in one so badly.
4. Accounting does NOT equal tax!Giphy
There are four branches - tax, audit, advisory, and consulting - and within each, there are different sections.
5. You either like financial accounting or managerial accounting better.Giphy
It all depends on how your mind works.
6. You love accounting puns.Giphy
"It's an accrual world." "LIFO the party." "Work your asset off." "Be audit you can be."
7. You dread the CPA.Giphy
It is hard to pass, but at least you only need a 75 - on every section that is.
8. When you hear the word gap, you immediately think of GAAP.Giphy
GAAP = the rules to live by.
9. You lowkey have dreams of finding fraud.Giphy
You probably never will, but you can dream right?
10. People think you are a math genius.Giphy
Nope - just really good at using my calculator and knowing which number goes where.
11. Speaking of calculators, you are very attached to yours and have certain ones for different things.Giphy
Your calculator is like your right arm.
12. You know that debits = credits and assets = liabilities + stockholder's equity.
Never forget these - you will fail your classes.
13. People ask you to do their taxes.Giphy
Again, you may not even do tax.
14. Usually you enter the work force in audit or tax.Giphy
And then you can move around.
15. You love the rules associated with accounting (and are probably a rule follower yourself).Giphy
Accounting is all about following the rules.
16. You know the struggle of balancing networking, case competitions, classes, and extracurriculars.Giphy
Anything for your future!
17. You did the Volunteer Income Tax Assitance (VITA) program if your school has it.Giphy
So cool to get hands on experience early.
18. You plan your life around doing leadership programs one summer, an internship the next summer, and then working full time for a firm.Giphy
Even accounting recruiting for jobs is structured.
19. 150 is your magic number.Giphy
150 credits to sit for the CPA exam that is. You will either cram them into four years or do a Masters in Accounting.
20. You cannot imagine being any other major!Giphy
Accounting has your heart!
Accounting is an awesome career path! Good luck and thank your awesome accounting professors for teaching you all that you know!