Table for One Please!

Table for One Please!

I play the part of a critic.

8
Table for One Please!
Lehigh Valley Live

People do crazy things when they are hungry, especially if you're already crazy to being with.

You readers are probably going to think I'm a super brave person to even think about walking fifteen minutes into town alone, but don't let me fool you. I was terrified! I mean I was blasting AC/DC in my ears (only one earbud in mind you) just so I could stop picturing some wacko following me from behind. But I did it. And I can proudly say I'm not writing this from the grave, but instead from the safety of my college's library.

Anyway, let me go back to the reason why I decided to do this: I was hungry. I do crazy things when I'm hungry and today, this was that crazy thing. Of course I wasn't hungry for anything in the cafeteria--that would be way to easy. No, I was desperately craving a sandwich from Stella G's in Hackettstown, NJ! Once upon a time I was dropped off at work at Greene's Beans two hours early for my shift and had to walk around town to kill time. This was where I found Stella G's that fateful day. I ordered the "Chicken Stella G's," and I don't think I've ever been in love with a sandwich until I took my first bite. Naturally, this was the sandwich I had been craving.

So, I bothered some of my friends to go with me, but everyone was either busy or gone for the day. By 12 o'clock it was clear that I would be making this trek alone. At first I was hesitant--what's the possibility of me getting mugged on the way there? Since it looked like it was going to rain, I decided to bring my umbrella as both a cover in case it rained and as a weapon. You can never go wrong with an umbrella. Around 12:30 I set off from my dorm room at Centenary University and began my quest down the sidewalks. I also made sure to mention that I was going into town to the friendly faces I passed by in case I didn't make it back.

Believe it or not, the walk there wasn't too bad other than the weather being rather hot and muggy. I was the only traveler on the sidewalk so I didn't even have to worry about creepy strangers. When I walked into Stella G's, I wasn't surprised to see it pretty crowed (although I'm sure the waitresses were really surprised to see a lonely 19 year old wearing a black Hawaiian shirt asking for a table for one). I sat against the wall in a cute little two seater, and the aesthetic of the place reminded me of a cozy little country hideout! It was right in the center, so I could see a good amount of my fellow food lovers. I caught a few wandering eyes watching me curiously. I had one boy giving me googly eyes in front of me...he was like 3 or 4 and the sweetest little thing! I have to admit, it must have been a little odd to see a young woman eat by herself and furiously typing on her phone (I had started this article in my notes). Everyone else probably thought my date had stood me up!

But let me skip to the important stuff: THE FOOD!

Today I had AMAZING watermelon lemonade.

It wasn't too sweet nor too tart, but instead a perfect combo of the two! Totally refreshing!

This was quickly followed by my forever favorite: Chicken Stella G's!

(Sorry for it being already half-eaten. I was starving and I didn't think to take a pic before my mouth started chewing)

Honestly, words can't even begin to describe this heavenly dish. Not only was it scrumptious, but it was also filling! I had to eat every single bite!

Last (but certainly not least) I tossed around the option of getting dessert. If I was going to do a "food review" I might as well have one more thing to talk about. That's when I turned my head and read the sign that saved my life: Scones!

Alright if it's one thing I'm guilty of...it's being a diehard scone lover. As soon as I saw the options I knew I just had to get one! It took me a good long five minutes to narrow my taste down to two options: butterscotch or Irish buttermilk. Both sounded amazing, but I knew my wallet would only allow me to get one. So I asked the waitress! She was kind enough to suggest the butterscotch and LET ME TELL YOU. That was probably the best scone I've ever had. I think I'm still in shock of how delicious it was. I only ate about half (it was seriously huge) and happily boxed the rest.

Everything that came after that was pretty mundane. With a full and happy stomach, I made the trek back to Centenary and the confidence that I had been a real adult today.

Cheers!