Syllabus Week? What Syllabus Week?

Syllabus Week? What Syllabus Week?

Goodbye freshman year, goodbye syllabus week.

32
Syllabus Week? What Syllabus Week?

Freshman year is undoubtedly one of the best years of our lives. Everything is new and exciting. Freshmen are going through orientation, getting to know your hall mates, their campus, and the party scene that can be such a big part of the “college experience.” The first week of classes is no different. The excitement of being on their own has in no way worn off. With no parents around and their new found adulthood, their allowed to go out on a school night now. The decision to go out is made especially easy with a schedule that is primarily Gen Ed’s, and really there is no stress involved. Of course, freshman are going to go out, why the hell wouldn’t they?

However, this whole phenomenon of “syllabus week” only really lasts, well, freshman year. By the time sophomore year rolls around the advantage of having mostly Gen Eds is gone. Now you have major course, pre-professional courses, and prerequisites that take up your time. Starting from day one, it is no longer going over a syllabus and getting out early. Now you’re starting assignments and papers from day one. Say "good bye" to partying every day of the week, say hello to stress and tears. Here are five ways syllabus week is different from your freshman year to your sophomore year.

1)Freshman year late nights vs. Sophomore year late nights

Freshman year people are up getting to know their hall mates, getting dressed to go out and coming home at 2am from a frat party. By sophomore year, you're already at the library your second day into the first week of classes and leaving to go home at 2am. Accept it, it happens.

2)Freshman year workload vs. Sophomore year workload

Freshman year syllabus week means barely any work at all. Gen Ed professors are just trying to make sure you know the syllabus and get your textbooks. Sophomore year, you leave your first day of classes with an assigned paper, three assigned chapters, and a quiz.

3)Freshman year stress levels vs. Sophomore year stress levels

Relatively no stress at all for freshmen. Sophomores of the other hand are already contemplating their life decisions, freaking out about failing just from breathing, and dropping out to become a stripper.

4)Freshman year classes vs. Sophomore year classes

Basically all gen eds, vs. one gen ed and all major classes.

5)Freshman year Syllabus week vs. Sophomore year syllabus week

Let me just put it this way, after freshman year, syllabus week no longer exists.