Why We're Swooning Over Country Artist Brett Young

The California native is taking the country music industry by storm.

66
EventBrite

In the country music industry where so many artists are trying to make a name for themselves, thirty-five-year-old Brett Young has been rising above the rest. The California native has been charming the world with his beautiful blue eyes and smile to match, but it's not just Young's looks (or voice) that have grabbed the public's attention. His songs are raw and honest, and the stories behind the six songs in his self-titled EP make his music even more powerful.

Although few artists earn a Mediabase No. 1 with their first single, Young's "Sleep Without You" hit the top of the chart back in November of 2016. While the music video might feature Young performing at a bar, then lying in bed anxiously awaiting the return of his love interest (Miss USA 2015 Olivia Jordan), the story behind the lyrics goes a little deeper than that.

After growing tired of the typical "dude trying to sleep with a girl" songs he was hearing on the radio on a daily basis, Young thought there had to be a sweet twist on this sort of relationship. He thought about his last relationship of six years, remembering how he was restless trying to go to bed without a goodnight text or phone call. His parents, married for 30 years, also inspired the song. He reported to 94.5 Country that his dad still can't sleep without his mom when she's gone for the weekend, even after being together for so long. Thus, "Sleep Without You" was born.

On Jan. 9, Young delivered a second single, "In Case You Didn't Know." It was, according to Young, written as something that everyone can relate to. However, the song turned into much more than that. When it was completed, Young realized that he had created a "wedding song." He said, "In a way, I think men are really bad at saying ‘I love you.’ It’s strange because women need to hear it all the time. We were just talking about how, as a guy, you’ve got to remind yourself to say it. Even if you feel like you’re saying it too much, maybe it comes out like, ‘Hey, you know I love you, right?’ or, ‘Hey, in case you didn’t know, I love you.’"

Young has plenty of tour dates in 2017 if you'd like to hear that beautiful voice in person (I'd highly recommend it). His debut album is set to be realeased Feb. 10.