Why You Need To Ditch Tampons For A Period Cup Now

6 Reasons You'll Never Go Back To Tampons After Switching To A Menstrual Cup, Period

Ladies, you've got enough things on your to-do list, worrying about your hygiene shouldn't be one of them.

154

Before three months ago, I had only ever heard of a period cup twice in my life. The first time was from my friend who is a powerlifter and she used it instead of tampons when lifting. The second time was an entire group of girls when I was studying abroad in Morocco, where there is limited access to tampons. Finally, I decided it was time to give it a try. After one week of using my Diva Cup, I had already ordered three more to give to friends, family, and even my therapist to try. Mark my words, it's life-changing.

1. It saves you money in the long run

Yes, period cups range from $20-50, but you have to think long-term. A period cup is designed to be the only product you use and it is built to last over a year. Personally, I was buying both tampons and liners each month which cost me around $14 (partly because feminine hygiene products are taxed in Georgia but that's a different story). So instead of paying around $168 ($14x12 months) each year, I am saving over $100 each year.

2. No leaks!

Unsplash

If you are like me, or any other female with a heavy period, the cup is your SAVING GRACE! My therapist, for example, told me she has to change her super tampon after each session with a client. There were even times when she couldn't walk them to the door because she had bled through and was sitting in her own blood. The cup is designed to hold more and when placed properly, it can last for up to 12 hours with no leaks. My therapist was thanking me for introducing her to this because she sat through all of her clients for the day without having to worry.

3. Yes, you can pee with it in

Probably the greatest thing about using a period cup is that you can leave it in while you pee. This means if you're drinking liters of water each day — like me when I have my life together — then you aren't having to change your tampon every 30 minutes or so when you have to pee.

4. No more asking your friend for a tampon

You know that feeling when you reach into the bottom of your purse and realize you don't have a tampon? Or when you have to ask your friend or the person in the stall next to you if they have one? Well, now you never have to replace a tampon or pad with a wad of toilet paper in your underwear ever again. With a period cup, it comes in a chic little cloth bag so you don't have to be ashamed carrying it around. Since you can pee with it in and it lasts 12 hours, you do not have to worry about changes throughout the day. Now you can go out without having to carry a purse full of hygiene products.

5. You can help the environment

Unsplash

Imagine how many products you are saving from going into landfills and oceans by just using one period cup. You never have to go to the store and buy more tampons. You never have to worry about wrapping your used tampon in toilet paper to throw it away. You simply reuse your period cup. After 12 hours of use, you simply need to rinse it out with water and put it back in. Then place your cup in boiling water for 10 minutes before using it at your next period. (There are more official instructions that come with your period cup.)

6. No toxins

After my general check-up with my gynecologist, she warned me that tampons and even pads are super toxic to our bodies. We don't actually know what goes into a tampon or a pad. There are chemicals and dyes and perfumes. Tampons can even be made with woodchip fibers. While they absorb menstrual blood, they also absorb all moisture which can seriously throw off PH balance and affect bacteria. Saalt period cups are FDA approved and made of 100% medical-grade silicone and dyes that are BPA, latex, and chemical-free. You should know what you are putting into your body.

Ladies, we are constantly on-the-go working, studying, and conquering the world. We don't have time to run out to buy tampons. We are too classy to be using a wad of toilet paper in our underwear. I seriously cannot recommend using a period cup enough. It has made my life with heavy periods so much easier. It is one less thing I have to worry about and I no longer feel like a prisoner to my period.