3 Tips For Surviving The Last Obstacle Before Summer: Finals
Education

The second semester of the year is winding down, which only means that one thing is coming: finals.

138

During finals week, everyone becomes stressed out and realizes how they are over classes. Basically, everyone burns out, and that includes me. However, it does not have to be that way.

1. Plan ahead

Create a study plan and stick to it. I know how easy it is to get distracted, especially when you are over studying and want a break. There have been days where I end up binge watching shows to avoid studying because I never actually created a plan. If you create a study plan every week, you will be less likely to avoid studying completely. For instance, you can dedicate a few hours a day to studying somewhere outside of your room (or your friend's room), so you will not get distracted. I recommend writing down all of your assignments and other commitments in a planner. Then, once a week creating a list of the things you need to get done. This way, you will not fall behind in studying, and the workload will not become overwhelming.

2. SLEEP

Without sleep, your brain is not going to be able to function correctly. The stereotype that follows every college kid is that we drink way too much caffeine so we can cram before finals. That is not a great way to prepare of finals because you will burn out rather fast, especially if your finals are spread out. Trust me, there have been times where I stayed up until the next morning getting homework done and studying. However, I was exhausted the next day, some of my answers DID NOT make any sense, and I barely remembered what I studied. The trick that works for me when I fail to follow my study plan, which happens a lot, is to study the night before the exam and, instead of staying up all night, go to sleep at a reasonable time. If I am anxious, then I will wake up early before my exam and study a bit before. If you do not get at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep, you will end up burning out due to the stress.

3. Take breaks

Finals week can be overwhelming due to everything you are juggling, such as moving out, work, friends, and extracurricular activities. In order to stay sane during finals, take breaks. Planning ahead will help you take breaks since you will know when and how long you will be studying that day. Studying can be overwhelming because of the vast variety of information you are attempting to cram for all of your classes, which is why you end up pushing yourself to your breaking point. Taking a break will allow your brain to recharge, which means you will be able to focus better and comprehend the information, instead of just memorizing it. Even if it is a short walk, going to get food, or taking a nap, it will make sure you do not lose your mind. There have been times where I was so overwhelmed and just kept pushing myself to study more, that I ended up either breaking down in tears or becoming so frustrated that I started yelling at my laptop or books. I have also known people you stayed up two days straight studying and literally started having delusions. In short, take a break so you will stay sane.