My New Stress-Free Lifestyle Is Paying Off During Finals Season

Finals season has arrived but this time I am equipped for the storm!

61

I know some of you have clicked on this article expecting to find a listicle filled with tips on how not to stress during finals. Sorry to disappoint or sound "cliche," but my only tip is literally:

DON'T STRESS!

This year, I have made it my sole purpose in life to not let myself get stressed over anything. It wasn't a "New Year's resolution" or anything, I just woke up one day and decided I was tired of letting things, big or small, stress me out. It sounded easy when I first proposed this mission to myself, but it soon proved to be very difficult.

As college students, we adopt stress as if it's a natural emotion when in reality, it is one of the unhealthiest things to do. Stress can cause migraines, nausea, anxiety, fatigue, chest pain, and much more. We hear stories all the time of students passing out during finals week, or having panic attacks.

College should not put students' health at risk.

Yes, we want to be successful, and yes, we might have to sacrifice some things to do so, but health should never be one of those things. Therefore, I promised myself that I would no longer let school stress me out, and I just eventually applied it to the rest of my life as well.

When I feel overwhelmed or like I am losing control of things happening in my life, I give myself a "me" day. This day can include anything from sleeping all day to running errands, cleaning, or pampering myself for a couple of hours. Sometimes I don't even make it a whole day, but the point is to take a moment to breathe so that it doesn't turn into stress.

I encourage everyone, not just students, to consider giving yourself some "me" time. I guarantee you it will make all the difference in your level of stress. Now, I listen and watch my friends stress over finals, and I am so glad I have learned to balance it out. I am human, so of course, I still experience some stress. But it is really just about acknowledging it and figuring out how to prevent it from having serious effects on your mind and body.

So my friends, from one college student to another, have a stress-free finals season!